DIY 20G Long Sump Gone Wrong... Please Help

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know if you have anything adjustable in there for the water level...on my 20 long sump i need to keep the level about 4 inches below the top of the tank so theres enough room for the drainback from the main tank (only 40b) when the pump and skimmer are shut off...and yes i have a small siphon breaker hole drilled into the return about 1/4 inch from the water line to prevent it from draining even more....a little late but if you put blue masking tape about 1/8 inch from the seam on both sides you can apply the silicone, wipe the seam smooth with your finger, and then remove the tape for a pro looking joint

OP
OP
GuildedGravity

GuildedGravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know if you have anything adjustable in there for the water level...on my 20 long sump i need to keep the level about 4 inches below the top of the tank so theres enough room for the drainback from the main tank (only 40b) when the pump and skimmer are shut off...and yes i have a small siphon breaker hole drilled into the return about 1/4 inch from the water line to prevent it from draining even more....a little late but if you put blue masking tape about 1/8 inch from the seam on both sides you can apply the silicone, wipe the seam smooth with your finger, and then remove the tape for a pro looking joint
Yeah I did calculate for this, but just to be safe I put a swing valve in the return line. I though about doing the tape thing but just didn't care since it was the sump haha. Thanks for the advice!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back