DIY 5 gal. bucket tank cooler

ShakeyGizzard

Southern Dude
View Badges
Joined
Sep 18, 2023
Messages
8,080
Reaction score
32,880
Location
West Central Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a spur of the moment tank cooler to help a friend out on a recent trip. I made a trip (business) to Macon Georgia and decided to stop buy and see life long friend. He has a lot of freshwater tanks and one is in a room that the a/c cooling is limited. His wife is wheel chair bound and has a problem reaching the zip lock ice bags he uses to keep the temp regulated. We used what he had on hand and one trip Home Depot. Basically it has a small Sicce pump in the sump just under the surface pumping water into a 5 gal. bucket that has the intake and drains at the same height. Had to cut a piece of acrylic to sit down in the bucket to make the intake water go down and then up over the ice bags. Having the fittings at the same height on the bucket will prevent siphoning in case of power outage. We elevated his bucket slightly to help with ice bag changes and for the drain to just empty into the sump. I made one for myself, but with a different use in mind. these are my pics. I plan on using as an as needed chato reactor or cooler if needed.




20260807_151141.jpg
20260807_151242.jpg


20260807_151129.jpg
20260807_151122.jpg
 
I made a spur of the moment tank cooler to help a friend out on a recent trip. I made a trip (business) to Macon Georgia and decided to stop buy and see life long friend. He has a lot of freshwater tanks and one is in a room that the a/c cooling is limited. His wife is wheel chair bound and has a problem reaching the zip lock ice bags he uses to keep the temp regulated. We used what he had on hand and one trip Home Depot. Basically it has a small Sicce pump in the sump just under the surface pumping water into a 5 gal. bucket that has the intake and drains at the same height. Had to cut a piece of acrylic to sit down in the bucket to make the intake water go down and then up over the ice bags. Having the fittings at the same height on the bucket will prevent siphoning in case of power outage. We elevated his bucket slightly to help with ice bag changes and for the drain to just empty into the sump. I made one for myself, but with a different use in mind. these are my pics. I plan on using as an as needed chato reactor or cooler if needed.




20260807_151141.jpg
20260807_151242.jpg


20260807_151129.jpg
20260807_151122.jpg
Nice job Jimmy , way to help a friend out .
 
I don’t believe your story. No one makes only one trip to Home Depot per project 🤪 🤣🙃
 
I didn’t get a bottle ?
Oooh, Jimmy is in deep trouble! I’ve seen the wrath of cornbread and it’s not pretty! Run for your life Jimmy unless you have proof it was lost in the mail!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new