DIY 80 gallon shallow peninsula tank

immafishguy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
172
Reaction score
76
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_2156.JPG
IMG_0941.JPG
IMG_9270.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1193.PNG
IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2160.PNG
Just thought I'd share my most recent build:
running since: 8/25/16
80 gallon shallow reef:
(48.5 x 25 x 16.5)- Starfire glass of course
External overflow
(3) 1.5" drains
(2) 3/4" returns
full 24" overflow

sump:
(45 x 18 x 17)
drain down chaimber
(3) 4" filter sock tray

Had the glass cut, but everything else is all DIY: drilled, glued, and plumbed everything!

And just in case I'm worrying some of you with the fish I have in there, it's all part of a bio load experiment. They will be going to a much larger system in the very near future.
 
Last edited:
Nice! Have you built tanks before?
 
Wow. Nice work! Beautiful set up. Super clean seal job there.

I'd love some tips. My sealing could use some serious help.
 
Do I see 3 xr15's or 30's on that rms mount? I run 15's on my DB 80 is why I ask.
 
Wow. Nice work! Beautiful set up. Super clean seal job there.

I'd love some tips. My sealing could use some serious help.

Best advice I can give is to use masking take to get cleanliness then use way to much silicone. It's a lot easier to create a good seam when you have more to work with, then when you smooth it out, the excess will peel off on the masking tape
 
Best advice I can give is to use masking take to get cleanliness then use way to much silicone. It's a lot easier to create a good seam when you have more to work with, then when you smooth it out, the excess will peel off on the masking tape

Great idea. Little prep work pays off in the end result. I like it. Again, very nice!
 
Looks great! I love the stocking! I know you said its temporary, but its still looks great. :)
 
Question: Is that in your bedroom? I would never go to sleep - just keep swimming...just keep swimming!

PS - awesome build - very beautiful!
 
Question: Is that in your bedroom? I would never go to sleep - just keep swimming...just keep swimming!

PS - awesome build - very beautiful!
Yup its at the foot of my bed. Decided to do with another tank instead of a TV haha
 
i love shallow tanks! any jumpers?
 
Great looking tank! If you don't mind me asking what was your cost of the glass?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 30.4%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new