DIY 90 gallon tank upgrade

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone as previously promised in my previous build thread it is time to upgrade and set up my 90 gallon tank.

This is a link to my previous tank that ran successfully for roughly 2 years when we had to sell our previous home. After moving despite trying to keep everything alive in a smaller tank nothing survived the move and 3 month renovation so I am starting with a clean slate.
jumping-back-into-the-hobby-build-thread.470838

This is the tank that I will be using. It is a 90 gallon aquarium that I have had for quite a while and I can't wait to get it started again. Is this a good style of overflow to use or should I change it out before I set this tank up?

IMG-1100.JPG
IMG-1092.JPG

Next is the sump. I plan on putting this sump in my basement and could use some advice on what pump I should use. I will be running around 55 feet with roughly 10 feet of vertical rise. I am looking for something affordable that will get the job done as well as be able to cover a manifold that I plan on putting it at some point as well. This is a picture of the sump that I have is this useable or is it worth trying to build a diy sump?

IMG-1097.JPG

I have also recently purchase 2 kessil a-360we with programmer off of reef2reef recently and I'm excited to get those going on the tank as well

Is there anything else I should be thinking about other than what I have listed here?

Thanks in advance for any advice I really appreciate it
Steve

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck..
I had a 90 gallon mixed tank as as well. I remember the fun of getting everything set up and running.
Overflow is fine.. Might replace the gaskets though just in case if they are old .
I would also worry about your wet dry filter for sump for doing a saltwater tank .These filters are nitrate factories and could cause you issues down the road. I would try to get another sump big as possible . I had a 29 gallon under my cabinet. Depending on your stocking plan I might figure on having a refugium compartment in sump as well.
Good luck !

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the long break since the last update. We have been finishing up some remodeling so any progress has been between other projects.

I finally got around to building my bench in the basement to hod all my filtration and everything else included for a basement sump room. I built the bench big enough to hold my sump, external skimmer, refugium, and all other necessary equipment. I was even able to pick up a utility sink for 20 dollars off facebook market place to make water changes and filter sock cleaning easier. I also picked up a vesta s2 for the display tank return pump.

I am a big diy guy so everything from here on out will be very hands on. I am planning on converting my wet dry sump to a refugium set up with filter socks, building the display tank stand, and plumbing and running electric.

I am hoping to stay more updated on the progress from here on out. Here are some pics to keep everyone up to date.

sump 1.jpg
sump 2.jpg

I also pick up a spectra s2 pump for the display tank and

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about using this rio 2500 to power a manifold for right now. Does anyone have thoughts on that? I am planning on running a aqua c ev 120 external skimmer and possibly a carbon and gfo canister as well. Will this pump work as anternal pump also or would it be better internal?

rio 2500.jpg

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update today. I have been working on finishing up the work bench by adding a shelf to keep storage things and possibly rodi and saltwater for water changes.

11:13:19.jpg

I have also been working on teaching myself how to sweat pipes so that I can plumb in the sink and rodi unit. Its a little more difficult than I had though but here's my progress so far.

11:13:19 2.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back