Diy Alkalinity standard from Mixed Alk

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy. Im in need of an Alkalinity standard but im outside the US. I see you have something about using NaOh which i have mixed to your Standard ala BRS strength that i use for my High pH Alkalinity dosing.

Is there any way to make a standard by diluting a little bit of that?

I also wonder if the High pH mix also affects Alkalinity testing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy. Im in need of an Alkalinity standard but im outside the US. I see you have something about using NaOh which i have mixed to your Standard ala BRS strength that i use for my High pH Alkalinity dosing.

Is there any way to make a standard by diluting a little bit of that?

I also wonder if the High pH mix also affects Alkalinity testing.

You can use a sodium hydroxide solution to test an alkalinity kit, at least a normal titration test (possibly not a spectrophotometric method).

The issue is going to be how accurate you want to make it, and how sure you can be that the sodium hydroxide is dry.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just have the bulk flakes sold at the chemical store and I have a great scale. That's about it. I just want to make a seawater level standard....say 7.5 or 8 dkh in a liter of water. If possible. Incan mix larger and dilute down

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just have the bulk flakes sold at the chemical store and I have a great scale. That's about it. I just want to make a seawater level standard....say 7.5 or 8 dkh in a liter of water. If possible. Incan mix larger and dilute down

We discuss DIY alk standards here:

If you want to use sodium hydroxide instead of sodium carbonate, you use less sodium hydroxide, so use 0.755 times the amount of sodium carbonate in that recipe.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering if Natural Seawater from a clean source can be stored as an Alkalinity standard. Does Alk fall off over time even if sterilized and tightly bottled?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also wondering if Natural Seawater from a clean source can be stored as an Alkalinity standard. Does Alk fall off over time even if sterilized and tightly bottled?

The alk in it varies with salinity, so you'd need a good way to measure salinity. It may fall off over time if any calcium carbonate begins to precipitate.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back