DIY ammonia dosing for low N systems

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
91,613
Reaction score
96,704
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy. I am using 4.75 tsp to 1 liter of ammonium bicarbonate for a stock solution. How long does this last for shelf life? Initially it smelled of ammonia but after a few days it no longer has a smell. Does that mean it is no longer useful? I have about 210 gallons of total water so I only need about 20ml at a time so it will take a while to work thru the liter. Wondering how long it lasts or if I should be making a much smaller amount at a time.
 
Randy. I am using 4.75 tsp to 1 liter of ammonium bicarbonate for a stock solution. How long does this last for shelf life? Initially it smelled of ammonia but after a few days it no longer has a smell. Does that mean it is no longer useful? I have about 210 gallons of total water so I only need about 20ml at a time so it will take a while to work thru the liter. Wondering how long it lasts or if I should be making a much smaller amount at a time.

If it is sealed it will last forever. I am not sure how long it takes to escape from any given container. Keeping it as best closed as possible is a good plan.

I keep mine for weeks in a glass milk jug with a hole drilled through the cap for the dosing tubing, though I have not verified its potency vs time.
 
Never thought I’d have to resort to this but despite feeding heavily I have chronically low nitrates but anywhere from .03 to .07 phosphates

Looks like I need to dose ammonia
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new