DIY Arc Fault Circuit Interrupt - Part 1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dom

Theoretical Reef Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2016
Messages
7,850
Reaction score
8,301
Location
NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who are unfamiliar with my stray voltage problem, here is the Reader's Digest recap...

Following another thread, I learned of something called stray voltage. Out of curiosity, I followed the steps to check for it and wallah; 42 volts in the tank! After long and spirited debate on titanium grounding probes (ya or nay), I decided the grounding probe was the way to go.

I also realized I needed to provide Arc Fault protection between my APC battery backup and the devices in the tank. Below is my solution.

IMG_3501.JPG My Home Depot parts list; $50.00

Step 1...
IMG_3506.JPG

Step 2...
IMG_3507.JPG

Step 3...
IMG_3508.JPG

Step 4...
IMG_3509.JPG

More pics to follow once it is installed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new