Diy ato.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I'm looking at this on eBay http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171149826977 as a cheap alternative until I can afford a decent ATO.
The way the seller describes it, it seems the white hose at the top connects to a water source and it just gravity feeds water into the sump and as the float rises, it shuts off the water flow.
Most ATO systems I've seen have had pumps and/or electronic float switches. That's where my concern comes in. Will this mechanical switch be as trustworthy as an electronic one?
Also, I assume I can just drill a hole near the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, silicon in the white hose and keep it filled with fresh water and that will be all good?
Thanks!

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer float switches. With that said I use them for my Rodi system and collection can. If you are taking your Rodi directly to sump this will work if it is a pump handling this it will run 24/7 in your bucket without circulation water and heat your top. Off. Water. Before it pumps. In. The float just closes the line and when water drops opens it so your top off always has to run.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer float switches. With that said I use them for my Rodi system and collection can. If you are taking your Rodi directly to sump this will work if it is a pump handling this it will run 24/7 in your bucket without circulation water and heat your top. Off. Water. Before it pumps. In. The float just closes the line and when water drops opens it so your top off always has to run.

I'm trying to avoid using more electrical outlets wherever possible. I'm already running out of space lol. That's why I want to use a gravity fed system instead of a pump driven one.
I'm not wanting to take the top off water directly from the RO/DI filter to sump. I need to put it in a bucket first as I'm buying top off water at the moment.

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I suppose you could gravity feed it instead of pump feed! Didn't think of that but if your sump is that low then that should work fine

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is literally on a sheet of foam on the ground lol.
So I should be ok to just attach the white hose on the valve to a bucket and let gravity do all the work for me?
I'd hate to get it all set up and realise the valve doesn't close then flood my garage haha.

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured i'd chime in here as im using that style of ato on my sump. I've been using a mechanical float on my sump for 2 years now and never had any issues. Gravity style as well.

So to answer your question, yep just connect the line to one of those push fittings that you screw on a bucket, place it higher then the sump and you're golden.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!
Hopefully this one will last two years or more too. That would save me buying a more expensive system in the future :)

GreatWhiteTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would do a trial with only as much water as your sump can hold just in case, but should work no problem!

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the luxury of having a fish room. I have a pressure tank on my RO system. Where it feeds the fish room, I have a pressure reducer to lower the pressure. Finally I use Kent float valves to then control the water level in my 65 gal RO storage tank and my 100 gal sump. I started this way in 1998 and have used this type of setup every since with no problems or leaks.
Kent Marine Float Valve

Funbags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes the bad thing if its on RO/DI system. If your sleeping and it fails you could crash your tank... Putting a outlet on a 5g bucket might be interesting though.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back