DIY automatic neck cleaner for Red Sea Reefer skimmers?

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea Reefer skimmers come with a built-in manual twist neck cleaner, which is nice, but it is incorporated into the lid (the whole lid spins with the wiper). What if I am out of town for 2 weeks? I have never had a skimmer without an automatic neck cleaner.

Has anyone rigged up an automatic neck cleaner for one of these skimmers? How did you do it?

Also if anyone has any experience letting their skimmer run for 2 weeks without any cleaning please let me know how it goes. IME after a few days production really drops off. I'd prefer to have my skimmer keep chugging right until the float valve in the skimmate container trips.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only clean my skimmer cup every 4 weeks or so, so you will be fine. I can honestly say I’ve not noticed any difference in performance although I’m sure it must be slightly worse, and that’s the only reason I don’t bother doing it,

I also have 10 litre plastic containers ‘inside’ the sump so when the cup is nearly full it will drain into the container and it can go weeks and weeks before I need to empty it. Also because the container is inside the sump, if the skimmer every freaks out, it wont flood the floor or cause other issues.

I use the same system in both my tanks

OP
OP
R

rwb500

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thanks. maybe i should just see how I like my new skimmer without a neck cleaner.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back