DIY Baffles in Triton Sump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read the first 10 pages of posts in this forum but I haven't found a specific answer. I have a 40 gallon breeder reef tank with a 20L sump i am setting up and I'm trying to get baffles cut right.

I know probably any of the solutions below will be good enough but I'm hoping to find the most optimal setup :p

Originally I was going to do a non Triton method and had glass cut for the following.
|Skimmer| 7" baffle| Refugium | 6" Over Under Over 3 baffle Bubble trap | Return|

Then I learned about the Triton method and now I cant decide how to place the baffles I don't want algae pouring over into the skimmer section. Should I add Teeth? (obviously its cheaper if I don't). Should I add egg crate or mesh (Seems like a junk catcher that could leech or just look ugly) Should baffles come to the top or be and inch from the top to allow emergency overflow?

| Refugium | 10 inch under Over Bubble trap | Skimmer | 7" Under Over Bubble Trap | Return|

or

| Refugium | 10" baffle plain or with teeth or mesh/egg crate | Skimmer | 7" Under Over Bubble Trap | Return|

Is there another combination I'm missing. I already had the glass cut once and I know once i silicone this stuff in I'm not going to change it so I would prefer to get it right this time.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

KevinRosso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd setup with teeth is what you want to do. Tim from triton also suggested having the first baffle after the skimmer be an under instead of over because protein floats to the top so it will give more time for the reactor to grab them. So i would suggest doing under over under if you have the space.

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes just found out glas company wanted $800 to cut 24 notches lol i guess i need to use those little mesh net things or use an under over on the refugium so water flows underneath.

KevinRosso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes just found out glas company wanted $800 to cut 24 notches lol i guess i need to use those little mesh net things or use an under over on the refugium so water flows underneath.
Do you already have the baffles? If not you should order acrylic. I got mine from octo aquatics.

OP
OP
txtrapline

txtrapline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have the baffles? If not you should order acrylic. I got mine from octo aquatics.
I have some glass one but they were jsut $30 I was going to redo them they dont fit Triton and are the wrong size etc.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 long sump, the first half is a fuge with under over under, no teeth. Second half has skimmer and return. I don't get any bubbles but you could always place an over baffle between the skimmer and pump.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back