DIY battery backup for Nero pumps (feedbacks/advices needed from experts)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just talked to another guy recently and he had 3 EcoTech backups that were dead.

I’m still deciding what I want to build and how much I want to invest. I can tell you it will be far superior than anything I’ve setup in the past.

The way I see it is that gas is getting harder and harder to get every year because more people are buying gas powered generators and filling multiple gas cans during these events and before you know it- all the gas is sold out.

In my mind battery back up systems that are Solar powered are the way to go. It’s an investment, but they can also power your house too which is pretty amazing. No noise, clean energy, off grid, and many other benefits. They pay for themselves over time.

9E312122-0D7F-4032-AEDF-90524F5EEFD1.jpeg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When those batteries die in a few hours running high wattage heaters my generator will keep running. Just use the money to buy a quite inverter generator instead of large batteries and be prepared for the longer term outages. A 500 watt heater will run a 100ah battery down in less than 3 hours, for the same cost you could get a 3500 watt HF predator inverter generator. I love the idea of solar and a backup battery system but in most areas of the country the actual payback is couple decades still.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When those batteries die in a few hours running high wattage heaters my generator will keep running. Just use the money to buy a quite inverter generator instead of large batteries and be prepared for the longer term outages. A 500 watt heater will run a 100ah battery down in less than 3 hours, for the same cost you could get a 3500 watt HF predator inverter generator. I love the idea of solar and a backup battery system but in most areas of the country the actual payback is couple decades still.
86DCCC26-EE13-4553-912C-6E05E446B981.jpeg

I have a nice little generator specifically for my reef. I agree, heaters require a ton of energy. I’m glad I don’t have a 500/G reef.

Just a tiny ceramic space heater for your home is 1500W. That’s insane.

Chillers also draw a lot of energy.

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in corpus and run a diy lead acid back up. I used the guts from a apc ups and 2 older batteries. Not a real backup solution with the older batteries. I did loose power for 4 days and internal house temperature dropped to around 50 degrees. My battery back up ran a small hyyger wavemaker for most of the outage. For heat I would use soda bottles with hot water and I could keep the tanks above 60. I got lucky and only lost one torch. My actual heaters running on a generator would only maintain a degree or two above ambient. I now have a high btu gas log insert and more space heaters ordered. I'm prepared for a jot power outage, I just never thought it get that cold down here.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in corpus and run a diy lead acid back up. I used the guts from a apc ups and 2 older batteries. Not a real backup solution with the older batteries. I did loose power for 4 days and internal house temperature dropped to around 50 degrees. My battery back up ran a small hyyger wavemaker for most of the outage. For heat I would use soda bottles with hot water and I could keep the tanks above 60. I got lucky and only lost one torch. My actual heaters running on a generator would only maintain a degree or two above ambient. I now have a high btu gas log insert and more space heaters ordered. I'm prepared for a jot power outage, I just never thought it get that cold down here.
Yeah, we all got caught off guard on that storm. Makes you rethink your backup plans.

I think a hybrid solution is the best choice. Having a generator is excellent, but then you run into the gas problems. So you convert it to propane to have an alternative and you still run into fuel issues. I think it’s easier to buy propane because it can be stored for much longer.

I like to keep battery backups with power inverters on hand because you never know when you may run out of fuel.

The biggest problem is heating the tank in extreme cold weather and also cooling the tank in the middle of August. House temps can get into the mid 90’s and maybe hotter. Chillers require a lot of power just like heaters do. You can also freeze water bottles, but they go really quick in hot weather.

Solar energy is a smart way to go. I guess it just depends on how much you love your animals in the tank. We’re going to have more power outages and it seems like it’s getting worse.

Bnutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we all got caught off guard on that storm. Makes you rethink your backup plans.

I think a hybrid solution is the best choice. Having a generator is excellent, but then you run into the gas problems. So you convert it to propane to have an alternative and you still run into fuel issues. I think it’s easier to buy propane because it can be stored for much longer.

I like to keep battery backups with power inverters on hand because you never know when you may run out of fuel.

The biggest problem is heating the tank in extreme cold weather and also cooling the tank in the middle of August. House temps can get into the mid 90’s and maybe hotter. Chillers require a lot of power just like heaters do. You can also freeze water bottles, but they go really quick in hot weather.

Solar energy is a smart way to go. I guess it just depends on how much you love your animals in the tank. We’re going to have more power outages and it seems like it’s getting worse.
My generator can power my ac, I did have to install a soft start system. I have a wood fireplace, but it's way too small for freezing temperatures. I'm upgrading it to a vent free gas. Solar is my next on my list, hopefully tesla roof comes to texas soon and it's windstorm rated.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My generator can power my ac, I did have to install a soft start system. I have a wood fireplace, but it's way too small for freezing temperatures. I'm upgrading it to a vent free gas. Solar is my next on my list, hopefully tesla roof comes to texas soon and it's windstorm rated.
Plus you get a tax break for going Solar I believe. I think they give you 6K.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back