DIY BRS Dosing Pump Bracket

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of building another tank setup, I picked up three used 1.1 ml BRS dosing pumps. One of the pumps did not come with the mounting bracket. Now I know I can purchase the bracket alone from BRS for $7.99, but why buy it when making it will be a fun little DIY project.

Here’s the BRS bracket I’m talking about:
BRS Dosing Pump Bracket.png

First thing I did was determine the angle of the bracket was 5 degrees, and I found a piece of scrap plastic and cut it at that angle. Originally I thought this was acrylic, but it cut too easily, so I’m guessing it’s vinyl…..but this shouldn’t be a problem.

Cutting Bracket.jpg

This angled piece has angled sides to lock into the back of the pump. This was found to be a 45, so I’d try using a router bit to cut this chamfered.

Router Bit.jpg

To stabilize this small piece of plastic, and make routing safer, it was attached to a piece of scrap wood using two sided carpet tape.

Bracket taped to Board.jpg

This was slowly adjusted to the bit until just the right amount of material was removed.

Routing Plastic Piece.jpg

Holes were drilled and tapered to accept flathead screws….and here it is side-by-side to the BRS bracket. Now this DIY one does not lock into the pump like the original, but that shouldn’t be a problem mounting the pump vertically.

Finished Bracket.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't ordered recently.....but am putting an order together now.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I left out one little step. When I picked the plastic scrap, it was an inch or so longer than I needed. When I traced the bracket on this plastic, I centered the original, leaving extra on the top and bottom of the piece, and then cut the 5 degree angles. This would allow me to trim the top portion so that it fit snuggle into the pump, I kept on trimming the top, shaving off a little at a time, until the bracket was held tight in the pump, and "flatted out" at the top of the pump.

Bracket in BRS Pump.jpg

The bottom portion was then marked and excess plastic cut off.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back