diy canopy

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to build a canopy. I don't want it to be hanging from the ceiling or resting on the tank. I think bolting it on studs in the wall. I do want it to look like it's sitting on the tank when it's not. the tank specs are 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H. the I don't have a sump but I do have a HOB skimmer. no room for a sump. I currently am using Aquatic Life EDGE REEF LED Aquarium Light Fixtures. I will be switching to sbox 16" (basic) qty 2.. looking for ideas since my HOB skimmer is on the tank.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are building it yourself, you can customize it to fit around your equipment. Two things to add to your consideration list:

1. How high do your lights need to be over the tank? How high is the ceiling in the room? These will determine how tall your canopy can be.
2. Do you want to be able to move the canopy to get in the tank or do you want to add doors?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are building it yourself, you can customize it to fit around your equipment. Two things to add to your consideration list:

1. How high do your lights need to be over the tank? How high is the ceiling in the room? These will determine how tall your canopy can be.
2. Do you want to be able to move the canopy to get in the tank or do you want to add doors?
not sure how high the light need to be over the tank. I'm reaching out to sb reef light company to find out. I am going to be building it with doors. and also since my skimmer is HOB will also be a factor in it.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always notch out for the skimmer or leave the back open.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back