Diy coil denitrator

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, quick question.

I am building a coil denitrator, my only problem so far is that it wont fit inside my tank stand, so I wonder... Does it HAVE to stand up straight? or can I lay it on its side? It will be powered by my return pump which is rated for 2600 gph, trherefore, water flow will not be a problem.

Here's a couple of pictures

Attachments

• IMG_2173.jpg
    IMG_2173.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2174.jpg
    IMG_2174.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 255

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stand it up. Also the flow your running through it is way to high for a DeNitrator. You should only run water through it at a 3-4 drops per second rate.
I can't tell how tall your is, but you could always cut it down to fit, make it fatter instead of taller.
I've used one in the past, and they are a bit touchy on the flow issue. not as easy as is appears to get the flow set up right, then kepeing it there. Also, takes about 6 months or so for the bactia in there to grow enough.
Better one would be the Sulpher DeNitrator, works faster.
Or even better, Vodka Dose. We could have you set up on a schedule right quickly and have those Trate coming down in about 1-2 weeks.

OP
OP
Mgoc

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stand it up. Also the flow your running through it is way to high for a DeNitrator. You should only run water through it at a 3-4 drops per second rate.
I can't tell how tall your is, but you could always cut it down to fit, make it fatter instead of taller.
I've used one in the past, and they are a bit touchy on the flow issue. not as easy as is appears to get the flow set up right, then kepeing it there. Also, takes about 6 months or so for the bactia in there to grow enough.
Better one would be the Sulpher DeNitrator, works faster.
Or even better, Vodka Dose. We could have you set up on a schedule right quickly and have those Trate coming down in about 1-2 weeks.

I am new to the hobby and I dont know much about vodka dosing, do you have a link to a thread on that? Abou the flow rate, I bought a ball valve which I hope can bring the flow rate down to 1 drop per second or so, I only mentioned the pump Im using to make clear that flow wouldnt be a problem (I dont know it lating it on its side would affect the way water is being pumped into the denitrator) and it is my return pump which will be feeding two return lines and the denitrator. Can I put sulfur media inside the denitrator?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mgoc

Mgoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on, if ya got any questions on it once you get it going, shout. We can start you out at a higher ML so it doesn't take forever to get em down.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 187 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back