OP
OP
R

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stumbled on this build on YT and now I find it here ;) It looks really cool! I'm thinking about doing something like this. I have quite high humidity in my house and I think that one of the main reasons is my tank since its open top. But I do not want to put a glass lid on it because I might lose light in the tank and i think that it must be cleaned constantly which is not something i see myself do. Plus gas exchange will be an issue... But since water vapor rises upwards, in my mind most of it will be 'caught' inside the canopy and not escape into my living room. In your experience do you think that that is true? Do you need to top of less frequently? And is there less humidity in your house because of this canopy? Lot;s of questions, I know :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Before adding the canopy, all I had was a screen and 3 Radions on a rail. I think the ATO lasts about the same amount of time even after adding the canopy, maybe a day less since I also added 4 x T5s. I don't see any changes in the humidity level.
Have you considered using a dehumidifier, I wonder if it'll help during the days when the humidity level is high.

OP
OP
R

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding the canopy, all I had was a screen and 3 Radions on a rail. I think the ATO lasts about the same amount of time even after adding the canopy, maybe a day less since I also added 4 x T5s. I don't see any changes in the humidity level.
Have you considered using a dehumidifier, I wonder if it'll help during the days when the humidity level is high.
Sorry I meant to reply to the post, instead of a new comment. I don't see an option to delete.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's to bad, I kinda hoped that it would make a difference ;) Yes I also thought about a dehumidifier but the electric bill is so insanely high here in the Netherlands. My electric bill has went up 60% in the last year alone and they say that electricity will remain expensive. And it's cold/humid over here 7 months a year. Mmm, have to think some more on this issue I guess :thinking-face:

Abilor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is brilliant. Giving me all kinds of ideas on how to have my cake and eat it too with a 120G rimless with screen, but a canopy needed due to 4 "Adventure Cats" who will be hell bent on sushi...

OP
OP
R

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found this thread. Great DIY floating canopy.

Wondering if you have notice any sagging near the front of the canopy?
Thanks for your feedback. That's a good question. I do see some sagging, but it mainly because of the TV mounting brackets, the friction adjustment has some limitations. I'm sure it can be fixed but I just let it be..lol. I'll try and grab a picture from the side, I would say it might be like a 5 degrees sag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403-121330.png
    Screenshot_20230403-121330.png
    377.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
R

rsach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is brilliant. Giving me all kinds of ideas on how to have my cake and eat it too with a 120G rimless with screen, but a canopy needed due to 4 "Adventure Cats" who will be hell bent on sushi...
Thanks for your feedback, I'm glad that you find this post helpful. When I was planning on building a floating canopy, I searched on a bunch of forums and found some ideas that were helpful but not exactly what I was looking for as I wanted to seat a T5 hybrid in there. I have learnt a lot from this forum, and am glad to contribute to the fellow reefers.
All the best, your cats might be sad..lol

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back