DIY for water change vacuum?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a DIY to suck up detritus using a small pump when doing water changes. Was thinking about using a small maxi-jet or something similar. The pump will be placed inside the tank with vinyl tubing and the other vinyl tubing to a bucket to collect the dirty tank water when doing water changes. Any ideas, pictures or suggestions would be helpful thanks.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a DIY to suck up detritus using a small pump when doing water changes. Was thinking about using a small maxi-jet or something similar. The pump will be placed inside the tank with vinyl tubing and the other vinyl tubing to a bucket to collect the dirty tank water when doing water changes. Any ideas, pictures or suggestions would be helpful thanks.
I tried that with a maxijet and wasnt very successful...
If you are trying to vacuum the sump a bucket head is a good cheap option, slightly more expensive and works better for me is a Stinger 2.5g shop vac, think it was $35.
In the tank, I use a regular gravel vacuum into a bucket but only when I'm cleaning up the sandbed.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that with a maxijet and wasnt very successful...
If you are trying to vacuum the sump a bucket head is a good cheap option, slightly more expensive and works better for me is a Stinger 2.5g shop vac, think it was $35.
In the tank, I use a regular gravel vacuum into a bucket but only when I'm cleaning up the sandbed.

How come it wasn't successful? I do have a small wet/dry shop vac I could attached some 5/8 tubing etc and suck out any detritus. What's a bucket head? I'm looking for something to clean the main display and sump area. I have read the shop-vac sucks too fast...

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come it wasn't successful? I do have a small wet/dry shop vac I could attached some 5/8 tubing etc and suck out any detritus. What's a bucket head? I'm looking for something to clean the main display and sump area. I have read the shop-vac sucks too fast...

Perhaps if you added a valve to tubing to slow the flow a little?
I'm always interested in DIY projects so I'll be experimenting with this idea when I get around to adding fish to my new tank :)

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have as substrate? If it's anything other than crushed coral you may run into issues of sucking up a lot of sand by using an actual 'vacuum'. Have you used a simple siphon vacuum yet? I have one that is just tubing with a wider pipe section at the end, and a python water changer that attaches to the faucet (this one creates a more powerful vacuum than a siphon alone). They both tend to suck sand up, but the python will do this far more. I can only imagine that having an actual pump connected would only make it worse.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps if you added a valve to tubing to slow the flow a little?
I'm always interested in DIY projects so I'll be experimenting with this idea when I get around to adding fish to my new tank :)

yes a valve will def help to control flow

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have as substrate? If it's anything other than crushed coral you may run into issues of sucking up a lot of sand by using an actual 'vacuum'. Have you used a simple siphon vacuum yet? I have one that is just tubing with a wider pipe section at the end, and a python water changer that attaches to the faucet (this one creates a more powerful vacuum than a siphon alone). They both tend to suck sand up, but the python will do this far more. I can only imagine that having an actual pump connected would only make it worse.

my system is a Bare Bottom

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't it very easy to manipulate. Bucket head is a cheap shop vac attachment you hook on a 5g bucket.

The python is what I would do if you are wanting faster suction out of the display. You could probably diy one with just buying the faucet attachment they sell for filling/draining a water mattress

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't it very easy to manipulate. Bucket head is a cheap shop vac attachment you hook on a 5g bucket.

The python is what I would do if you are wanting faster suction out of the display. You could probably diy one with just buying the faucet attachment they sell for filling/draining a water mattress

just found a pic of the bucket head as you stated its pretty neat and looks like it fit over a standard 5G bucket. I have a pyhton but dont want the hassle to attach to my faucet. The bucket head will probably suck water pretty quick?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just found a pic of the bucket head as you stated its pretty neat and looks like it fit over a standard 5G bucket. I have a pyhton but dont want the hassle to attach to my faucet. The bucket head will probably suck water pretty quick?
Yep. They make a microtool attachment kit, that would slow down the flow. You will definitely need. Longer hose to service the actual display, I only shop vac the sump

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back