Ideal water change kit that does not rely on external water pressure?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, Does anyone have a great product in mind for water changes that do not require having to have a long hose like 25 + foot that go from one room to a kitchen or bathroom sink? I prefer to have a short hose with an electrical pump plugged to an outlet and then to pump the old water into a bucket etc, and to reverse the process with the adding of salt water. I am new at this, but I am thinking I would like a large bucket. I’m dealing with a 42 gallon tank. I would pump out old reef water into the bucket, and then put that water into the sink, then mix my new water into that same bucket, and pump it back into the tank, with an electrical pump or high-quality hand pump maybe? But certainly not a long hose going from the sink , that Just doesn’t seem appealing to me, a hose going all across my living room into the kitchen sink. Thank you for your response.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0680.jpeg
IMG_0679.jpeg
Buckets and pumps are in your future. Get two and save work

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a simple siphon hand pumped hose to remove water and into a bucket. Then just dump the new water straight into the tank using the bucket.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I picked out from your question is that you want to pull the water from your tank and then mix new salt water. You should have water premixed before you pull anything out of the reef. It takes time to properly mix the salt into the water. You can get a couple brute trash cans with the added wheelie thing to help you out one for mixing, one for old water.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I picked out from your question is that you want to pull the water from your tank and then mix new salt water. You should have water premixed before you pull anything out of the reef. It takes time to properly mix the salt into the water. You can get a couple brute trash cans with the added wheelie thina 42 galg to help you out one for mixing, one for old water.

okay, so I have 42 gallon reef tank, but with the sump it is 51 gallons. I am not sure if I calculate the change based on total system volume or aquarium volume. So it saves time to do it the way you are suggesting, IE, a separate vessel for the mix? I just though I would be removing water and then I could use the vessel to mix the new. Also, are we always required to remove from the tank? I can see where we would want to clean out the waste from the tank, but doesn't all the volume of water circulate from the sump and the tank, or are they separate entities? the reason why I ask, is I am wondering why I cannot just take change from the sump, since it is low and more accessible. I have a lot to learn.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump and hose to drain to remove water to drain.

Bucket/Brute to mix water in then pump into tank/sump

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what you want:

1712865336652.jpeg

I been using one for years and I have it set up in sump.

Attachments

• 1712865320736.jpeg
    1712865320736.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 4

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, so I have 42 gallon reef tank, but with the sump it is 51 gallons. I am not sure if I calculate the change based on total system volume or aquarium volume. So it saves time to do it the way you are suggesting, IE, a separate vessel for the mix? I just though I would be removing water and then I could use the vessel to mix the new. Also, are we always required to remove from the tank? I can see where we would want to clean out the waste from the tank, but doesn't all the volume of water circulate from the sump and the tank, or are they separate entities? the reason why I ask, is I am wondering why I cannot just take change from the sump, since it is low and more accessible. I have a lot to learn.
You need to mix your new saltwater before the water change. Depending on the salt it could take anywhere from 20 min to a day to properly mix and clear. You can take water out from where ever you want. I mostly pull from sump but once a month ill vac the sand bed (well at least part of it). The water does mix in the system so it really doesnt matter. You want to use whole system volume tank and sump, but in reality the percentage doesnt need to be exact. I pull roughly 15g from my system weekly 3 hd buckets a little from the top of the bucket sometimes I get crazy and do a 4th. My saltwater is mixed in a 55g brute trash can that I refill every 2 weeks (I have 2 tanks the other tank gets roughly 7-8g weekly). So typically my salt mixes for a minimum of 2-3 days usually a week.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest autoaqua smart AWC duo as well.
P1 for ATO refill, P2 for drain old water, P3 for refill new water.
Also, it is capable with your own AC pump with smart AC switch.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to mix your new saltwater before the water change. Depending on the salt it could take anywhere from 20 min to a day to properly mix and clear. You can take water out from where ever you want. I mostly pull from sump but once a month ill vac the sand bed (well at least part of it). The water does mix in the system so it really doesnt matter. You want to use whole system volume tank and sump, but in reality the percentage doesnt need to be exact. I pull roughly 15g from my system weekly 3 hd buckets a little from the top of the bucket sometimes I get crazy and do a 4th. My saltwater is mixed in a 55g brute trash can that I refill every 2 weeks (I have 2 tanks the other tank gets roughly 7-8g weekly). So typically my salt mixes for a minimum of 2-3 days usually a week.

So you have to let the salt become soluble in the mix before you add it to the system? and so you add the salt and let it settle for a while prior to adding it to the sump? I did not know that. Also you did not mention the size of your system -- I do not think. Thank you for the reply.

I was at the LFS yesterday and picked up a Lifeguard 1200 pump with 6' of 3/4" tubing to begin with. Anyway my system was only setup on Tuesday so I imagine it wont be for a few more weeks until I do the first water change as the system cycles.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have to let the salt become soluble in the mix before you add it to the system? and so you add the salt and let it settle for a while prior to adding it to the sump? I did not know that. Also you did not mention the size of your system -- I do not think. Thank you for the reply.

I was at the LFS yesterday and picked up a Lifeguard 1200 pump with 6' of 3/4" tubing to begin with. Anyway my system was only setup on Tuesday so I imagine it wont be for a few more weeks until I do the first water change as the system cycles.
The bigger one is about 120g of actual water tank is around 80g and sump is a 75g. The other tank is 30g no sump so around 20ish gallons. Its best to put the water in the bucket/tote/mixing vessel add the salt and put a pump in to mix it and keep it mixing. The pump can be a power head or that lifeguard pump you picked up. Yes you want all the salt mixed with water it wont happen if the water is static, stirring will take forever.

Yes that pump should work for moving water into or out of the tank.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger one is about 120g of actual water tank is around 80g and sump is a 75g. The other tank is 30g no sump so around 20ish gallons. Its best to put the water in the bucket/tote/mixing vessel add the salt and put a pump in to mix it and keep it mixing. The pump can be a power head or that lifeguard pump you picked up. Yes you want all the salt mixed with water it wont happen if the water is static, stirring will take forever.

Yes that pump should work for moving water into or out of the tank.
thanks, would the Lifeguard pump i have be okay for salt mixing? scratch that i think you indicate my pump good for salt mixing. Wow you have a big sump for your 80 gal tank.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, would the Lifeguard pump i have be okay for salt mixing? scratch that i think you indicate my pump good for salt mixing. Wow you have a big sump for your 80 gal tank.
More water volume the better and I have room. Kind of setting up for my 180. I need to put leveling concrete on the floor though, it's very uneven and shimming it wont work.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back