DIY frag disks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter J&O'sdad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

J&O'sdad

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 26, 2009
Messages
310
Reaction score
13
Location
belleville
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a mason and always have a few extra bags of mortar laying around. I also have a couple of bucket of used sand with nothing to do with it. Can I use regular masonry type s mortar for making plugs and DIY rocks?
 
I am a mason and always have a few extra bags of mortar laying around. I also have a couple of bucket of used sand with nothing to do with it. Can I use regular masonry type s mortar for making plugs and DIY rocks?

Think all you need is Water and Aragonite to make the mix and then place into mold and just wait, then you need to pop them out of the mold and cure them for a few weeks in water, then take them out of water and let sit to dry for 24 hours and you have yourself frag plugs!!!
 
I was wondering because it already has sand in the mix. I am not 100% sure on what kind of sand is used in it.
 
I was wondering because it already has sand in the mix. I am not 100% sure on what kind of sand is used in it.


i used sucessfully aragonite sand
 
Mortar mix is not reef safe. It has chemicals that help it bond to surfaces better. i would just get a bag of portland cement
 
I did get portland. I wanted white but it was $30 a bag. For that price I should just buy them. I made 3 inch disks with a crushed coral and sand mix of 3 to 1.
 
I did get portland. I wanted white but it was $30 a bag. For that price I should just buy them. I made 3 inch disks with a crushed coral and sand mix of 3 to 1.
I know this is an old thread, but I was googling and this came up. How strong/hard did your disks come out? I want to make some disks about 5"+ for some of my chalices that are getting big. I want to make them easier to cut later and not as strong. I also read if the mixture is a little soupy they won't be as strong.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new