Diy glass aquarium

whitejawfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all... Looking to build a 24x48x12 tank using injection silicone method. Need guys with some expirience to help me through some questions below.

Do the edges need to be flat polished or can the edges just be lightly sanded after snapped? Really just need top of tank to be polished since it's going to be rimless. But not sure if the savings is worth the trouble or just best to get all edges flat polished.

I am planning to use 3/8 " thick and want it to be rimless. And since I am only needing it to be 12” high would this thickness be ok? Or do I need to go to 1/2" thick glass? Is there an online calculator that people with expirience can recommend I use?

Is there a good online glass place that I can order custome sized pieces?

Do I need to have all sides tempered or just the bottom for this size tank since its only 12 inches tall? I do want to use a ghost overflow so I will be drilling the holes myself. Does anything me know if I can get the glass tempered with a local glass place after I drill? Is that a possibility?

What's the preferable black silicone brand to use? Any one better than the other. I know I want black seams and I will be taping it to get clean edges.

Anyway thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a calculator.

I would use at least a safety factor of 4. No sides need to be tempered. I imagine there are good online sources, but would look locally first probably going to get a better price if any decent glass shops around.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd want them flat polished so there is a consistent gap in the joint. It can be uneven with just a break and sanding. Plus the only edges that wouldn't really be exposed is on the bottom, so polished will look best. As far as silicone, go with scs1200 series of momentive RTV. Last time I looked the black RTV was hard to find, not sure if it still is.

Reefin’ Rumors

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RS Hughes carries the Momentive RTV in black and clear.
My tank is 48x24x16...not tempered...with 1/2” glass and no polished edges (they wanted .25/inch) luckily my breaks worked out. Try to get glass local.
Use the cabinet bumpstops (1/8” max height on bumpstop) for your injection method spacers.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back