DIY gravity flow algea scrubber??

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out how to convert a used GFO/media reactor into a gravity fed algea scrubber.
I have a over the lip overflow box on the back of my 125g tank and would like to get some ideas(or even better) pictures of how to convert a round, used media reactor into a gravity flow algea scrubber. I am stumped as to how I would easily have flow coming in from the top and then out while keeping the water flowing.
I am also stumped as to how to connect it up and be able to easily harvest the algea when I get too much without completely tearing everything apart.
Can I get some advice on how to accomplish this??

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out how to convert a used GFO/media reactor into a gravity fed algea scrubber.
I have a over the lip overflow box on the back of my 125g tank and would like to get some ideas(or even better) pictures of how to convert a round, used media reactor into a gravity flow algea scrubber. I am stumped as to how I would easily have flow coming in from the top and then out while keeping the water flowing.
I am also stumped as to how to connect it up and be able to easily harvest the algea when I get too much without completely tearing everything apart.
Can I get some advice on how to accomplish this??
Lighting it efficiently is another question. I think I've seen cylindrical ones with a central lighting rod down the center but it all seems to be a bit too complex for a diy project in my opinion. Not sure if a cylindrical design has that many pros compared to a "normal" design.

Pife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting it efficiently is another question. I think I've seen cylindrical ones with a central lighting rod down the center but it all seems to be a bit too complex for a diy project in my opinion. Not sure if a cylindrical design has that many pros compared to a "normal" design.
You can wrap it with leds strip lights.

I found them to difficult to clean easily so I stopped using mine.

DaveNJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to understand this...why was it hard to clean? Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back