DIY hybrid T5/LED fixture ideas?

Fishy McFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I picked up an 8-bulb Tek T5 light fixture, Realized it didn’t fit, and nobody seems to be interested in it.

So...I’m thinking about trying to figure out how to convert it to a hybrid fixture of some sort. Wiring should be easy, but I’m looking to make something like the aquaticlife t5ho mount (pic below).

Has anyone done this successfully before?

EF56728A-DF6B-465A-A150-E610416044C3.png

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding LED bars to a T5 light is pretty simple, even if you have to do some drilling. What's a bit more challenging is adding LEDs and getting a slick form factor like that of the AquaticLife.

If you're a bit more flexible, it's easy to add LED bars to the side of the light and angle them down to get the coverage you want. I would go this route if the compromise is acceptable. If you need to have something that looks like an AquaticLife hybrid, I would sell the Tek for whatever it will bring and use the money on an AquaticLife hybrid. It's going to be a lot of work to cut the Tek apart to make something that looks like the AquaticLife hybrid.

OP
OP
Fishy McFish

Fishy McFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding LED bars to a T5 light is pretty simple, even if you have to do some drilling. What's a bit more challenging is adding LEDs and getting a slick form factor like that of the AquaticLife.

If you're a bit more flexible, it's easy to add LED bars to the side of the light and angle them down to get the coverage you want. I would go this route if the compromise is acceptable. If you need to have something that looks like an AquaticLife hybrid, I would sell the Tek for whatever it will bring and use the money on an AquaticLife hybrid. It's going to be a lot of work to cut the Tek apart to make something that looks like the AquaticLife hybrid.

Good thoughts. Might end up selling the Tek, not sure what I can get for it but we’ll see.

Robert Fowler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned the t5 combo fixture and i will say for $300 I would not buy again... not a bad product, but when you open it up and start assembling it its one of those things you can't believe you spent $300 on. Overall cheap quality.
Check out this video from Billy Piped on youtube might give you some inspiration.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back