DIY led t5 combo fixture build help?

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I'm trying to build a t5 led fixture out of an old odysee MH/t5 fixture what I wanna do is keep the t5s on the outside and take the middle section out where the metal bolides are and put in LEDs to make this fixture a t5/led combo I hand 4" by 48" area and 3" deep to play with I would like to localize the LEDs in 2 sections one set on 2 sides because the tank I have has a divider in the middle I'm building this for my frag tank but if it turns out good I might put it on my display so this fixture will be for Sps mainly
I would like to use cree or Phillips LEDs so if anybody could help me indeed help with
LEDs
Layout
Drivers
Quantity
Color layout
Thanks guys any help is appreciated

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I'm trying to build a t5 led fixture out of an old odysee MH/t5 fixture what I wanna do is keep the t5s on the outside and take the middle section out where the metal bolides are and put in LEDs to make this fixture a t5/led combo I hand 4" by 48" area and 3" deep to play with I would like to localize the LEDs in 2 sections one set on 2 sides because the tank I have has a divider in the middle I'm building this for my frag tank but if it turns out good I might put it on my display so this fixture will be for Sps mainly
I would like to use cree or Phillips LEDs so if anybody could help me indeed help with
LEDs
Layout
Drivers
Quantity
Color layout
Thanks guys any help is appreciated

I would start with a quality heatsink that fits your hood like the ones found at Heatsink USA. Also ensure you have good airflow.

As for as the driver I prefer Inventronics over Meanwell as the reliability of the inventronics is better. The Inventronics EUC42-042S070DS is dimmable with a potientiometer or 1-10VDC from an APEX or Reef Angle Analog Controller. It can drive 10-15 Cree XT-E LEDs at 700mA

There is a lot of debate on LED Mix. I prefer the Cree as their Cool White is full spectrum except for the Red. If you want that warmer look adding a couple Warm White works very well. Since your also using T5s this is the Mix I like and can be dirven with only three drivers and with your T5 and Optics give you about the same PAR as a 250 watt MH and a 15-20K colour look.

15 XT-E Cool White Binned at 7.5K
24 XT-E Royal Blue Binned at 450nm
6 XP-E Blue

The layout is simple just mix them evenly.

Bill

OP
OP
W

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info man thank you for taking the time to help exactly what I was looking for one thing can you tell me what the dimensions are on that inventronics driver I only have 4in of room in the case

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info man thank you for taking the time to help exactly what I was looking for one thing can you tell me what the dimensions are on that inventronics driver I only have 4in of room in the case

3 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 1 1/4....

You can also remote mount them away from the fixture.

Bill

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back