DIY Material Selections

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for anyone to clarify do‘s and dont’s of material selections for DIY projects, specifically around “plastics”. I am looking at building a skimmer and sump. I am confused with differences between acrylic, plexiglass, extruded and other types. What is good for the tank and will hold up the best, easiest to work with, glues or epoxy that are safe, etc.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic. Extruded means it was forced through a die to get the shape. Cast was poured into a mold. Weldon3 or 4 if you have perfect cuts, 16 if there are gaps, irregularities.
All acrylic is aquarium safe, as far as I know. Use tools meant for plywood or tile for the cleanest cuts. You can flame polish edges but only after gluing, as it closes the pores.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Are the sheets you can buy at Home Depot (Lowe’s, Menards, etc.) extruded? I look at most acrylic products they seem rather robust. Some of those DIY sheets don’t seem that robust. When you say flame polish are we talking propane torch or a heat gun? I assume either would work for bending with careful use and control.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the sheets you can buy at Home Depot (Lowe’s, Menards, etc.) extruded?

Most likely. Extruded is cheaper than cast. Cast has better material properties all around, except for flatness.

From experience, many of those sheets may be overpriced. Look for a plastics supplier around you (US Plastics, etc) which may offer much better choice of sheets to work from, and offer reasonable pricing on cuts.

This thread has a ton of information:

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for the tip @theatrus unfortunately the cost of acrylic is high right now if you can even find it. I work facility management for a municipality. We are buying it to make sneeze guards and other protective devices so public service counters are ready whenever we reopen to the public. Am afraid that will be the new normal for awhile so Reefers be prepared.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flame polishes can be anything hot enough to melt the plastic. Home Depot acrylic is extruded, and very thin. Not the best for building a sump.

OP
OP
Weasel1960

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flame polishes can be anything hot enough to melt the plastic. Home Depot acrylic is extruded, and very thin. Not the best for building a sump.
Sorry that should have said sump baffles. I figured it would be ok to use acrylic as the baffles in the sump if properly supported, but given the current pricing and availability I am now leaning mor to glass anyway.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you for the tip @theatrus unfortunately the cost of acrylic is high right now if you can even find it. I work facility management for a municipality. We are buying it to make sneeze guards and other protective devices so public service counters are ready whenever we reopen to the public. Am afraid that will be the new normal for awhile so Reefers be prepared.

A totally fair point which I overlooked! Shows I haven't tried pricing this in awhile :)

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then yes acrylic is fine, but hard to get a good seal between that and glass. The glass at home Depot is thin, but usable as there isn't much pressure from water weight on it in a sump. Or you can usually find a local glass shop that can get ¼" glass at a reasonable price. That's what I did for an old sump I had.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 113 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 133 49.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 8.9%
Back