DIY Maxspect Razor Hybrid

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i needed some more light for my new square tank, and i'd been thinking about adding T5's to my LED's. I looked at the Pacific Sun hybrids, but the price was just too much. So i decided to use my Razor 160w instead.

Made 2 seperate "wings" out of 1mm aluminum and glued a strip of aluminum in each end, that where drilled to fit the hanging mounts on the Razor. Each wing will contain 2x24w T5's.

K3LPnf.jpg

I also glued on a piece of 90 angle aluminum to mount the sockets for the bulbs. (I was on a budget, otherwise i would probably have used Hagen Glo cords and ballasts instead, would look a bit nicer) (the screws you see has been cut to fit)

VxJRIO.jpg

And a little paint.

ehZsct.jpg

jh4xtj.jpg

And this is how it looks over my current tank, no bulbs in yet. Just finished it today.

pQIavh.jpg

xZ1Im8.jpg

WG8xne.jpg

cypRrn.jpg

oOvyvW.jpg

I'm pretty satisfied with it, considering the amount of money i had to spent on it. It could be nicer, i really wanted the Hagen GLO T5 kits on it, but they are just way more than i can afford as a student. I'll just have to see how the lighting is, when i get my new tank set up. Can't wait :)

Hope you guys like it.

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done buddy. I ve always love to see DIY projects...just a thought, if u could bend those brakes for t5 to make em angle in towards a center a bit, that would help more with light supplements and not waste out on ur glass.
Cheers.

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! Nice job!! Can't wait to see it with bulbs in it!

I just picked up a similar Led/T5 Hybrid set up for my frag tank.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419866967369.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419866967369.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 623
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419866993213.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419866993213.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 654
OP
OP
W

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done buddy. I ve always love to see DIY projects...just a thought, if u could bend those brakes for t5 to make em angle in towards a center a bit, that would help more with light supplements and not waste out on ur glass.
Cheers.

I need the spread for my new tank, thats why they aren't angled ;) The fixture is almost 20 inches wide, and has to cover a 34" tank :)

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what t5 tubes is everyone running?

I'm currently running 2x coral+ for about 6 hours, they're a full-spec stand alone bulb so I figured they could fill in any gaps left by the LEDs. so far I'm loving it.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Great job on yours too..

I'm going to run 2 ATI Coral Plus and 2 ATI Blue Plus on mine.

I think that'll be a great combo. I'm loving the coral+, but I've had blue+ on previous fixtures and it's a great bulb too. I didn't want any more blue, I wanted something to supplement the whites and fill in any gaps I may have..

what size tank are you upgrading to?

OP
OP
W

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that'll be a great combo. I'm loving the coral+, but I've had blue+ on previous fixtures and it's a great bulb too. I didn't want any more blue, I wanted something to supplement the whites and fill in any gaps I may have..

what size tank are you upgrading to?

The Coral Plus really is a good bulb, that's for sure.

I'm upgrading to a 76 gallon custom square tank. You can see the slow progress right here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/184991-danish-76-gallon-cubish.html ;)

Vpham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do u guys run extra hr for t5 after led goes off? I ve used 2 ho attinics suplement 2 S026.

OP
OP
W

Wiinberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't yet planned my lighting schedule.. But my guess is that i will be running the Razor 11-12 hours with sun up/down, and the T5's 6/8 hours.. So T5's to supplement midday.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm doing. LEDs run about 10 or 11 hours to ramp up and down and the t5s are on for 6 hours in the middle of the day.

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Old thread but I was wondering if you had pics with bulbs and how you were able to bend the aluminum?
Well done!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back