DIY Modified Black Box for Optimal Spectrum

JohnTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I setup a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank grow out system which has become the perfect opportunity to create custom lighting tailored to the optimal spectrum for coral growth. After a little research leading to BRStv stating: Chlorophyll A collects light most efficiently at 410-430nm, Chlorophyll C2 collects light most efficiently at 450nm, and Peridinin collects light most efficiently at 484nm, I got to work. Chlorophyll A being the dominant chlorophyll found in coral I installed more 420nm LEDs than others.

The only original LEDs are the 3000k and 10000k. The 484nm range was not included in this build since this was the first project I have done of this type. I will definitely add some later.

Here is the LED configuration (I ignored the channels while considering LED placement):
LED Array.png

I did also remove the lenses for better spectrum blending and that has worked quite well without the need for a diffuser. One thing I will eventually build for the fixture is a shade to prevent light spillage. It has to be mounted about 6" above the surface in order to not flood the room with light.

Testing before putting it back together:

IMG_0393.jpeg

In conclusion, this was a successful project. The softies I currently have under this light have responded way better than I could have hoped. The total cost was $153 and total wattage is 100 (not 165 as the listing states). With Black Friday around the corner another light build is immanent since one fixture is not enough for this grow out system and hopefully, a PAR meter on sale. Here is the Amazon link to the fixture:

Cheers,

JtR

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I setup a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank grow out system which has become the perfect opportunity to create custom lighting tailored to the optimal spectrum for coral growth. After a little research leading to BRStv stating: Chlorophyll A collects light most efficiently at 410-430nm, Chlorophyll C2 collects light most efficiently at 450nm, and Peridinin collects light most efficiently at 484nm, I got to work. Chlorophyll A being the dominant chlorophyll found in coral I installed more 420nm LEDs than others.

The only original LEDs are the 3000k and 10000k. The 484nm range was not included in this build since this was the first project I have done of this type. I will definitely add some later.

Here is the LED configuration (I ignored the channels while considering LED placement):
LED Array.png

I did also remove the lenses for better spectrum blending and that has worked quite well without the need for a diffuser. One thing I will eventually build for the fixture is a shade to prevent light spillage. It has to be mounted about 6" above the surface in order to not flood the room with light.

Testing before putting it back together:

IMG_0393.jpeg

In conclusion, this was a successful project. The softies I currently have under this light have responded way better than I could have hoped. The total cost was $153 and total wattage is 100 (not 165 as the listing states). With Black Friday around the corner another light build is immanent since one fixture is not enough for this grow out system and hopefully, a PAR meter on sale. Here is the Amazon link to the fixture:

Cheers,

JtR

Awesome good luck!

DarylB924

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re you able to pick up a par meter on Black Friday to test the results of your upgrades?

OP
OP
J

JohnTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re you able to pick up a par meter on Black Friday to test the results of your upgrades?
Not yet, unfortunately! I am hoping to get one soon though because I am building a larger DIY fixture with a 240 watt power supply and want to be certain about PAR levels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back