DIY Neptune Apex Aquabus cables from ethernet, Cat5, or Cat6 cables

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY Neptune Apex Aquabus cables from ethernet, Cat5, or Cat6 cables

I was recently asked how to make your own aquabus cables, a question which I initially dismissed, as you can buy passive usb extension cords in lengths up to 25ft. They don’t make passive usb cables in longer lengths because the usb signal is unable to travel further without being amplified. A aquabus cable is using a different type of signal that can be transmitted a lot further without amplification. So any passive USB male to male cable or extension will work as a aquabus cable. However, there are a few cases where that might not be ideal. If you have long lengths in inaccessible places, then inaccessible connections between cables would be a problem. Or maybe you already have your house wired with ethernet- well you can use that existing wiring to run aquabus cabling.

All you will need for this is a length of Cat5 or Cat6 cable, and 2 USB to terminal adapters:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-USB-2-0...-Terminal-Plug-Adapter-Connector/253102642849

Make sure that the wires are all in the same order and that there are no shorts between wires. That’s it. Watch the video on how to put it together.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks for sharing. Do you know if their LED jacks are similar? It looks like they are standard Cat 5 series and using 4 for each channel.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Do you know if their LED jacks are similar? It looks like they are standard Cat 5 series and using 4 for each channel.
Yea there are lots of diagrams out there to make your own VDM cables :)

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who aren't into the DIY solution (or don't have the time and patience to do it), you can buy long AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long here:

https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

(no offense to the original poster...I just wanted to point out this option to others who might run across this thread so they are aware)

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who aren't into the DIY solution (or don't have the time and patience to do it), you can buy long AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long here:

https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

(no offense to the original poster...I just wanted to point out this option to others who might run across this thread so they are aware)

Ordered from here before. Extremely happy with the service.

six-line

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far can you run an Apex cable with out any issues? I have about 40-50 feet to run between my display and sump room. Thanks.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far can you run an Apex cable with out any issues? I have about 40-50 feet to run between my display and sump room. Thanks.

That will be no problem. I posted the link above where you can order AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have one that's about 50 feet, no issues at all. I'm sure you can run longer, but I've personally tested a 50'

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the AquaBus cable has a shield, while UTP Cat5 (_unshielded_ twisted pair) does not. If you're planning on a very long run, you may consider buying a shielded cable (STP exists, but is pricey). The CAN signalling on the AquaBus is very robust, so its not a hard requirement.

six-line

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to order the 50' cable.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't seem like anyone else is doing anything wrong except for me:

I'm having a bit of trouble here if someone could help, before I reach out to Neptune.

I've got two sets of devices. Each set has an Energy Bar 8 (EB8), but only one of the sets has an APEX.

I tried the following. For each attempt, I tried different AquaBus ports on the System A EB8 and the System A APEX, as well as different AquaBus ports on the target device from System B:

(1) Run a semi-DIY USB-ethernet-USB (200 ft) from System A to System B.

(2) Run a semi-DIY USB-ethernet-USB (200 ft) from System A to just a DōS, unattached to anything else.

(3) Run a 25 ft / 7.62 m USB extension cable with 6 ft / 3 m USB cable attached for 31 ft / 10.62 m total length from System A to System B.

(4) Procedure 3, except to just a standalone DōS device.

In situations 1 and 3, all power/status LEDs on the Neptune devices switch off, System A behaves as if Apex is no longer functioning (e.g., FALLBACK OFF on lights means the lights switched off).

In situations 2 and 4, the power/status LED on the target DōS system continues to flash amber, and nothing further happens. If I connect to a target VDM, it becomes solid green, but is non-functioning.

System A: Living Room
APEX
EB8
DōS, x2
VDM
FMM
PM1

System B: Bedroom
EB8
DōS, x3
VDM, x2
AFS

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I totally understand here..

Are you just trying to connect one cable between system A to a device in system B? You aren't trying to make some kind of loop are you?

Have you tested the devices with short cables? Hook up the DOS or something with a short cable to the EB8 on A. , make sure it works.

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, @garbled .. actually, over the past day or so, Neptune provided a response. I'll clarify what I wanted to achieve (and what I did in fact achieve, with Morgan's help (from Neptune).

This is a horrific diagramme. Basically, the APEX brain is downstairs, but I want to connect the upstairs and downstairs systems together. However, I don't want to purchase another APEX brain.

Pink shows all the downstairs modules and USB connections, whereas green shows the upstairs modules and USB connections. The black USB cable is the proposed connection.

Here's the video explanation of what I was trying to do, and what I sent to Morgan to help explain what I was experiencing: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nmFHrnEVbc7oG3tYA

W-DeOh-5d26j-vItnnZO-ZgLmQPvf0ie8C_1FoQcttiMEfL-otVqMVNMeHmOCPvdPWiPFiyttBjcvWu5SlBxTUEKEMjrOssKSdU5YCsh_931GoCaVp0_Ery18uCyjkeAC-QROAnmXUHL3voMGKeSd-HWO4jS_FjioF3OzL6EOK9EJLGZG9_8HyfBmzGb7h4z-07bUVwVFv9qweimAAYS1hgEf24fU6U3guO4p6aJte_mAIWvmFf9RO4FxZ2lmOeI3ZgfpeUUVQXvFkwyZuvIwYH0pIafSa6W59LZg2RS4Zu5F9tMU98je35jI7XhEUEP5L-cqjK9SZ_gJRYvnvjRVjmjixYLUcdhctcKtYoZe7hFDnwH4hrenFdLVHjX4FtiE_CRp3K_jDlybTIBvYkLlhLcikYy6Fw2uLqDBhZ3W5ArD3GGWxSAtj1nsVw3xs38-tBWUcZVdz0DSezDjo7qI5JSQpRivC3zdFDy_JwOWyONM6Y2X9Jq_w61bl3waByr_FZg-xn2MYG8sF-ivzair2MNcpHa1Yv0l2lFKAkzyVd_kb_mmwJ6-4p-GftmszIeDVsV05g2HknmNg_1mrUdcDlvUwTL86SMXqqBPw_sh_t6KWMBLdPLbhLblBGmq7fIcpQs95DV2mn2eGvLwaAzzpqAxfvKv4mT=w2102-h1576-no

I"m sorry to hear about this. I understand how frustrating this can be, and I hope to resolve this matter quickly and efficiently. If the controller has a green status light, but the modules are flashing, then there are three possible reasons for this:

• A device module or cable is preventing your modules from communicating with the base unit.
  • Your configuration has become corrupted and needs to be fixed.
  • Your base unit could be having some hardware problems.

To determine if is is a device or cable that is causing the module not to communicate:

1. Remove all the AquaBus devices from the base unit (including the display screen).
  2. Now reconnect only your Energy Bar to the base unit.
  3. If it comes back up both Green status lights on the Apex base unit and the Energy Bar, If so proceed to step #6.
  4. If the Energy Bar is still blinking yellow then try another cable and AquaBus port on the Energy Bar. (If that does not work we will need to setup a phone support session.)
  5. Connect the Display module (do the modules status light stay Green)
  6. Now connect the next module you have.
  7. If it comes up with a Green status light on the module then proceed to step #8
  8. If the Module is still blinking yellow then try another cable and AquaBus port on the Modules. (If that does not work we will need to setup a phone support session.)
  9. Repeat steps #6 and #7 until you find the problematic device.

If you have tried a new cable and have the same results with several devices, then we will need to setup a phone support session.

As it turns out, one of the VDM modules was burning up (smelling of smoke). I removed it and within 1 second, everything worked.

Thanks to @DBR_Reef for the design. I ended up doing something a bit different, and not nearly as clean of a mod, but something I could do without buying anything else. I simply hacked off the two ends of a 200 ft CAT 6, and cut a USB cable in half, and then spliced and soldered the ends together.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back