DIY PICO: Let the fun begin

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy on a Facebook group I am in was getting rid of a rectangle 2-3 gallon tank for free a few weeks ago. I decided to get it and try to make a pico reef out of it. After consulting some people on here, I knew I would want to make a tightly sealed lid to avoid evaporation as much as possible. It was suggested to me that I go with a circular tank because that would circulate water more readily than a rectangular tank, but alas this was what I was given. It also seems much easier to seal a circular tank/bowl/vase. I have decided to make the best of it and try to make a DIY pico reef for the summer before I move. And, this tank will be super easy to take with me wherever I go.

I'm going to list all my steps with pictures in order if anyone likes my idea and wants to copy it.

1. I cleaned the tank out with soap and water. It had been in the guy's garage for a few years and was pretty gross. Here's the tank. Sorry for the messiness of my workspace on my coffee table.
IMG_6809.jpeg

2. Next, I looked up some options for making a lid and sealing it. I decided to go with a thick acrylic lid, even with the slight off chance it warps. Ideally, I would've done glass, but I was worried about cutting it to the right size and having the tools to be able to. I went with window rubber seal tubing and some clear plumbing glue. I also got an acrylic cutting tool. Got all of it at Lowe's for around 50 bucks. The acrylic was the most expensive part at like 35 or so.

IMG_6807.jpeg
IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6810.jpeg
IMG_6811.jpeg

3. I purchased a small corner sponge filter and an air pump with the suggestion of my LFS owner. She seemed to think that would be the easiest to make the seal and create some water movement, and it was easy to fit into my lid design.

4. I cut the acrylic to the size of my tank top with an extra lip on the back for mounting a light with an arm. The cutting was the hardest part because I had to use that tool to cut lines over and over in the same spot of the acrylic until it was halfway through, and I could break it. I then cut thin pieces to create a rim on the underside of the lid for attaching the rubber seal to that would press up against the tank walls. Cutting those pieces and getting them to break apart took hours because I had no leverage to break them off. I ended up being able to use a pocket knife to break them apart by putting it into my cut lines and wedging the pieces apart.

5. Next, I glued those thin pieces together so that they would lay within the walls of the tank with a small enough space between them and the walls to squeeze the rubber seal in. The glue took a few hours to completely solidify, and I let it sit for a whole day just to make sure it was good to go.

70571268819__70E1949D-71C8-4AC9-B73D-05EA73D1FBA0.jpeg

6. I cut lines of the rubber seal equivalent to the length of the inside walls of my tank with two being slightly shorter to allow the overlap from the others. I'll show the picture, so you see what I mean. The seal had an adhesive on the back, so all I had to do was peel off the wax and put it on my inlaid rim (not sure if that's the right word).

IMG_6816.jpeg

7. I got some air tubing from my LFS because my sponge filter did not come with any. I drilled a hole into the back left corner of my tank lid and fed the air tubing through it. I attached the filter to the tubing inside the tank and the pump to the outside. I filled the tank with sand on the bottom and some saltwater to see how it worked, and so far so good. Seems to be working well after a day.

IMG_6867.jpeg . IMG_6866.jpeg

After running for a day, the evaporation seems to be minimal if at all. I know there is probably at least some, but it is unnoticeable. The hardest part will be feeding because every time I pull up the lid, the filter gets pulled up, too. I'm going to use some live rock from my current tank to see this one once I get a small heater into it. Still trying to figure out how I will go about that with the power cord and everything.

I'm hoping to get a light soon to mount on the back lip of the lid. I have been thinking something like a Kessil a80 tuna blue or a Reef Breeders Pico LED light. Something that will not overpower this little tank. Let me know if anyone has suggestions. I'm also wondering if my light will be affected by the water splatter on the lid and if I will need to lower the water line to reduce splashing from my filter bubbles.

Livestock:

A small goby - probably a yasha (RIP my previous Yasha who didn't make it through the move from Ohio to South Carolina) or some kind of small shrimp goby
Pistol shrimp - hoping to find a candy cane pistol shrimp, but they are hard to find at the store

Zoas
Mushrooms
Leathers

I'm going to go with all softies for now because I feel like that will be the easiest to maintain and the hardest to kill. Let me know what you guys think of my tank! This was a fun little project for me to do, and anyone could replicate it at home. It was pretty easy, just took most of my day last Saturday. Hope you enjoyed my build up to the point. Updates to come!

IMG_6809.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice DIY work! Air exchange can be a concern with a tight lid which could cause an issue with low dissolved oxygen. Additionally, a sponge filter provides minimal surface for bacteria in a saltwater tank so you may want to consider a small piece of live rock or comparable (e.g., Brightwell bio-block, etc.). Good luck with whatever you choose!

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice DIY work! Air exchange can be a concern with a tight lid which could cause an issue with low dissolved oxygen. Additionally, a sponge filter provides minimal surface for bacteria in a saltwater tank so you may want to consider a small piece of live rock or comparable (e.g., Brightwell bio-block, etc.). Good luck with whatever you choose!
That's good to know! So far the lid seems to be keeping the evaporation down a ton. I am hoping there are enough cracks in the corner where the rubber doesn't perfectly seal to let the air being pumped in escape. I am planning on pulling some live rock from my 32 g that has been up for months in it. Probably gonna do one rock from there and then a piece of dry rock

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking now about possibly getting a rock flower anemone and a few sexy shrimp. As far as fish I am thinking a yasha or high fin goby with a pistol shrimp or a coral croucher goby. I just learned about those today and they seem pretty cool. Anyone have experience with the coral croucher?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking now about possibly getting a rock flower anemone and a few sexy shrimp. As far as fish I am thinking a yasha or high fin goby with a pistol shrimp or a coral croucher goby. I just learned about those today and they seem pretty cool. Anyone have experience with the coral croucher?
I vote just RFA and sexy shrimp

royalgrandma10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy on a Facebook group I am in was getting rid of a rectangle 2-3 gallon tank for free a few weeks ago. I decided to get it and try to make a pico reef out of it. After consulting some people on here, I knew I would want to make a tightly sealed lid to avoid evaporation as much as possible. It was suggested to me that I go with a circular tank because that would circulate water more readily than a rectangular tank, but alas this was what I was given. It also seems much easier to seal a circular tank/bowl/vase. I have decided to make the best of it and try to make a DIY pico reef for the summer before I move. And, this tank will be super easy to take with me wherever I go.

I'm going to list all my steps with pictures in order if anyone likes my idea and wants to copy it.

1. I cleaned the tank out with soap and water. It had been in the guy's garage for a few years and was pretty gross. Here's the tank. Sorry for the messiness of my workspace on my coffee table.
IMG_6809.jpeg

2. Next, I looked up some options for making a lid and sealing it. I decided to go with a thick acrylic lid, even with the slight off chance it warps. Ideally, I would've done glass, but I was worried about cutting it to the right size and having the tools to be able to. I went with window rubber seal tubing and some clear plumbing glue. I also got an acrylic cutting tool. Got all of it at Lowe's for around 50 bucks. The acrylic was the most expensive part at like 35 or so.

IMG_6807.jpeg
IMG_6808.jpeg

IMG_6810.jpeg
IMG_6811.jpeg

3. I purchased a small corner sponge filter and an air pump with the suggestion of my LFS owner. She seemed to think that would be the easiest to make the seal and create some water movement, and it was easy to fit into my lid design.

4. I cut the acrylic to the size of my tank top with an extra lip on the back for mounting a light with an arm. The cutting was the hardest part because I had to use that tool to cut lines over and over in the same spot of the acrylic until it was halfway through, and I could break it. I then cut thin pieces to create a rim on the underside of the lid for attaching the rubber seal to that would press up against the tank walls. Cutting those pieces and getting them to break apart took hours because I had no leverage to break them off. I ended up being able to use a pocket knife to break them apart by putting it into my cut lines and wedging the pieces apart.

5. Next, I glued those thin pieces together so that they would lay within the walls of the tank with a small enough space between them and the walls to squeeze the rubber seal in. The glue took a few hours to completely solidify, and I let it sit for a whole day just to make sure it was good to go.

70571268819__70E1949D-71C8-4AC9-B73D-05EA73D1FBA0.jpeg

6. I cut lines of the rubber seal equivalent to the length of the inside walls of my tank with two being slightly shorter to allow the overlap from the others. I'll show the picture, so you see what I mean. The seal had an adhesive on the back, so all I had to do was peel off the wax and put it on my inlaid rim (not sure if that's the right word).

IMG_6816.jpeg

7. I got some air tubing from my LFS because my sponge filter did not come with any. I drilled a hole into the back left corner of my tank lid and fed the air tubing through it. I attached the filter to the tubing inside the tank and the pump to the outside. I filled the tank with sand on the bottom and some saltwater to see how it worked, and so far so good. Seems to be working well after a day.

IMG_6867.jpeg . IMG_6866.jpeg

After running for a day, the evaporation seems to be minimal if at all. I know there is probably at least some, but it is unnoticeable. The hardest part will be feeding because every time I pull up the lid, the filter gets pulled up, too. I'm going to use some live rock from my current tank to see this one once I get a small heater into it. Still trying to figure out how I will go about that with the power cord and everything.

I'm hoping to get a light soon to mount on the back lip of the lid. I have been thinking something like a Kessil a80 tuna blue or a Reef Breeders Pico LED light. Something that will not overpower this little tank. Let me know if anyone has suggestions. I'm also wondering if my light will be affected by the water splatter on the lid and if I will need to lower the water line to reduce splashing from my filter bubbles.

Livestock:

A small goby - probably a yasha (RIP my previous Yasha who didn't make it through the move from Ohio to South Carolina) or some kind of small shrimp goby
Pistol shrimp - hoping to find a candy cane pistol shrimp, but they are hard to find at the store

Zoas
Mushrooms
Leathers

I'm going to go with all softies for now because I feel like that will be the easiest to maintain and the hardest to kill. Let me know what you guys think of my tank! This was a fun little project for me to do, and anyone could replicate it at home. It was pretty easy, just took most of my day last Saturday. Hope you enjoyed my build up to the point. Updates to come!

IMG_6809.jpeg
THIS IS REALLY COOL!

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some updates to the tank. I added a heater, a sticker thermometer on the side, some live and dry rock (the big mountain is from my 32 g), and I just bought a Reef Breeders Pico LED. I'm really liking the light so far. Going to cycle the tank for probably a week or two, but I figure it will handle a small bioload pretty quickly.

Definitely thinking I am going to go with a goby and pistol shrimp pair and some sexy shrimp and RFAs. This tank will only be up for two months, but it will be fun to see what I can do in that time.

IMG_6972 2.jpeg IMG_6975.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. I added two leather corals (one devil's hand in the front and one you can't see that I don't really know what it is) and a mushroom frag from my 32 g to the little tank. I also got a randalli goby and a randall's pistol shrimp over the last two weeks. They don't come out too often, but I see them occassionally. I noticed the shrimp only has one claw, but he seems to still be working hard. That big divet in the right corner is his work I think. I am planning on cutting a hole in the roof tomorrow and putting a knob on the puck of acrylic that will come out, so I don't keep taking the lid off every time I have to feed and change water. Updates to come!

Also, if anyone has any knowledge on how to take better pics of the tank let me know please. I just use flash on my phone which helps a little but stills sucks.

IMG_7081.jpeg

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update. I added two leather corals (one devil's hand in the front and one you can't see that I don't really know what it is) and a mushroom frag from my 32 g to the little tank. I also got a randalli goby and a randall's pistol shrimp over the last two weeks. They don't come out too often, but I see them occassionally. I noticed the shrimp only has one claw, but he seems to still be working hard. That big divet in the right corner is his work I think. I am planning on cutting a hole in the roof tomorrow and putting a knob on the puck of acrylic that will come out, so I don't keep taking the lid off every time I have to feed and change water. Updates to come!

Also, if anyone has any knowledge on how to take better pics of the tank let me know please. I just use flash on my phone which helps a little but stills sucks.

IMG_7081.jpeg
Hey I got a pico too witha a lid and I had no issues so far. The only downside, is that your PH will be low like 7.8 or less.. but still works for zoas and softs.
You still have the benefit of the external air being pumped to the filter, so things might be different for you.

For better photos:
Search for "reef lens" on google.
You will find several options.
You can buy a lens kit or a pair of orange glasses and put them in front of your phone camera. Honestly 20 bucks is already well paid. You just need a yellow/orange lens filter and perhaps a macro lens for closer details.
Mine is this:

And post more updates!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back