DIY plywood stand material choice?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4 inch is a standard size, pine B/C grade should be ok, but oak or maple 3/4" are usually carried by Home Depot and Lowes. The oak and maple usually have more plys and therefore can be noticeably smoother and flatter than the pine. The 3/4 should provide adequate strength to support the weight, depending on the weight . don't know how your original stand was built, but I would still consider 2 x 4 or 2 x 3 corner posts to which you would attach the plywood, depending on the size of the tank.

edit: I should have said Birch, although some carry maple too. Birch holds paint and stain really well. Oak stains really well
Birch stains terribly. Bad bad bad.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same as @neon_reefer, Russian baltic birch(printed on the side) in 3/4" 4x8 sheets for $49.99 a sheet. It's a local plywood supply house(all they sell is various grades and thicknesses of plywood). Would have never known it existed, but talked to a local cabinet maker, and thats where he gets all his ply from.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I went with 3/4" baltic birch for the sides, and 31/32" CDX fort he top and bottom. Since the top will have a yoga mat on it, and the bottom is within the stand, you won't see it at all. I did find another thread where they used truck bed liner on the top. I think I'll use that to coat the top and fill in the small blemishes from it being CDX ply.

OOh I do plan on just painting the entire thing black like my current stand.
Real Baltic come in 5x5. Chinese “Baltic birch” comes in 4x8 sheets

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birch stains terribly. Bad bad bad.
Yes unfortunately you’re gonna have a lot of blotchiness I would do a solid color or maybe a paint and glaze to achieve a wood look. But standstill work too good. If you have paint equipment you might be able to use a dye but that requires some experience.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes unfortunately you’re gonna have a lot of blotchiness I would do a solid color or maybe a paint and glaze to achieve a wood look. But standstill work too good. If you have paint equipment you might be able to use a dye but that requires some experience.
My uncle does custom cabinets for a living. Owns the company and has been at it for over 40 years. I’m also staring a Baltic birch stand because I like the banding in the edge. It works really well in mid-century furniture.
I talked to my uncle about it and he put me on a product called “Charles Neil pre-stain conditioner”. A bit different than other conditioners as it uses high solid adhesive as a binder. Raise the grain with water and let it dry, sand to 180, then apply the conditioner and let it dry, one more quick sanding at 180, tac cloth, stain with water based with chip brush or a rag. He said it would be good to go as long the conditioner is applied evenly.
But I’m gonna trust the man who built the make-up tables in the grand ole opry.

But you are correct ***** is terrible to stain. Even Jim (my uncle) said he won’t even spray it on unless he has that specific conditioner.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I’ve only seen it in 5x5. But admittedly I haven’t really looked for birch ply very often.
Yeah honestly maple is so much nicer. When I’m routing something and need a core with absolutely no holes I will buy good Baltic but otherwise maple all the way unless the clients are unwilling to pay for it.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah honestly maple is so much nicer. When I’m routing something and need a core with absolutely no holes I will buy good Baltic but otherwise maple all the way unless the clients are unwilling to pay for it.
I wanted to match maple, but I wanted 0 void edges so that I could miter the faces and stain the banding on the stand I’m starting this weekend. I’m moving a bit out side of my comfort zone on this stand as I usually just skin a 2x3 or 2x4 frame for my stands and work benches. I’m trying my best to fake walnut with this one and wouldn’t have used BB except for those edges.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real Baltic come in 5x5. Chinese “Baltic birch” comes in 4x8 sheets
Says Russian birch stamped on the side, and the supply house I bought it from said it was imported from Russia also. So I don't know, I can only go by what I see and was told?

Yeah I know birch stains bad, I only got the Russian birch because I was told it was super strong. I plan on just painting the outside black, and the inside an enamel epoxy paint in white(rustoleum appliance paint). So the finish isn't a big deal.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not there is actually and edgeband that looks like a perfect plywood edge. But they probably don’t have iron on so you would have to do contact cement. I have an edge bander but I’m way down south. In either case I don’t have that edge banding at my shop

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not there is actually and edgeband that looks like a perfect plywood edge. But they probably don’t have iron on so you would have to do contact cement. I have an edge bander but I’m way down south. In either case I don’t have that edge banding at my shop
Where in the south? I’m not asking to borrow tools lol.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hadn’t seen it like that. Only 5x5 sheets. Another poster told me that it does come in 4x 8 now.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Says Russian birch stamped on the side, and the supply house I bought it from said it was imported from Russia also. So I don't know, I can only go by what I see and was told?

Yeah I know birch stains bad, I only got the Russian birch because I was told it was super strong. I plan on just painting the outside black, and the inside an enamel epoxy paint in white(rustoleum appliance paint). So the finish isn't a big deal.
there is no such thing as enamel epoxy......

I prefer you just get a truck bed paint and coat it with that, it will be water proof, and moisture proof

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no such thing as enamel epoxy......

I prefer you just get a truck bed paint and coat it with that, it will be water proof, and moisture proof

Man why is it whenever I post something, someone has to point out I'm wrong when I know I'm right? I honestly don't care what "YOU PREFER", and did not ask for that suggestion, but thank you anyways(hope that didn't come off d*ckish?, if it did I did not mean it to). I may use the bed liner on the top thats under the tank though.

Rustoleum makes an appliance epoxy paint. Ive used it before. Maybe do a little reseach before you spout off what you don't know. Also WATERPROOF and a nice hard shiny finish. Can't be beat for the inside of a stand.

Same thing the "paint guy" at home depot told me when I went in looking for it, till I showed him he was wrong.

EPOXY ENAMEL PAINT

Current melamine stand has that on the inside, and after many many spills, and ATO failures over the years, the inside is completely dry and unaffected by water. Only where water ran out the door, and they have that cheap plastic banding on the melamine is where water entered and destroyed the melamine.

Way better then a truck bed liner as it's smooth and doesn't have that texture to it.

Last edited:

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Man why is it whenever I post something, someone has to point out I'm wrong when I know I'm right? I honestly don't care what "YOU PREFER", and did not ask for that suggestion, but thank you anyways(hope that didn't come off d*ckish?, if it did I did not mean it to). I may use the bed liner on the top thats under the tank though.

Rustoleum makes an appliance epoxy paint. Ive used it before. Maybe do a little reseach before you spout off what you don't know. Also WATERPROOF and a nice hard shiny finish. Can't be beat for the inside of a stand.

Same thing the "paint guy" at home depot told me when I went in looking for it, till I showed him he was wrong.

EPOXY ENAMEL PAINT

Current melamine stand has that on the inside, and after many many spills, and ATO failures over the years, the inside is completely dry and unaffected by water. Only where water ran out the door, and they have that cheap plastic banding on the melamine is where water entered and destroyed the melamine.

Way better then a truck bed liner as it's smooth and doesn't have that texture

this is not an epoxy resin, Epoxy is a resin that comes in 2 parts..

Appliance Epoxy .....is the brand. Rustoleum is the manufacturer..... Its called marketing.

This product contains Zero Epoxy, it just has a similar "LOOK"..

I work with Epoxy resin everyday. its a totally different product.

OP
OP
homer1475

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is not an epoxy resin, Epoxy is a resin that comes in 2 parts..

Appliance Epoxy .....is the brand. Rustoleum is the manufacturer..... Its called marketing.

This product contains Zero Epoxy, it just has a similar "LOOK"..

I work with Epoxy resin everyday. its a totally different product.
I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And well... I'm wrong, and I apologize.

After reading what you wrote, I was adamant I was right, so I went and grabbed the can to read it. Just an enamel paint designed to put on metal.

Well either way I already have it, and I'm using it. Worked great on my last stand.

Sorry if I sounded like a "you know what", but dang I was sure I was right. lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back