DIY Potassium Nitrate 99.5% purity ok?

mitchlew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the product is this okay to be used, we've tried commerical nitrate buffers but they are so expensive.

OP
OP
M

mitchlew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to use potassium (not optimal, IMO, unless you are monitoring potassium), it should be a fine product to use since it is claimed to be food grade.
Hi randy thank you very much for your reply, i have another science related question, could a nitrate buffer cause ph fluxuations. We have a tank in an outside shed we used to run very high ph levels like 8.1-8.4 since dosing or maybe a coincidence but our ph has started to drop and early this morning reached 7.8ph.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi randy thank you very much for your reply, i have another science related question, could a nitrate buffer cause ph fluxuations. We have a tank in an outside shed we used to run very high ph levels like 8.1-8.4 since dosing or maybe a coincidence but our ph has started to drop and early this morning reached 7.8ph.

Seems like a lot to me. Dosing nitrate will tend to have a small alk boosting and pH lowering effect (when it is metabolized). But I would not have expected that much.

OP
OP
M

mitchlew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot to me. Dosing nitrate will tend to have a small alk boosting and pH lowering effect (when it is metabolized). But I would not have expected that much.
we are dosing 240ml of the nitro in a 700l ish system, the product says 10ml = 1ppm nitrate per 100l. We are having to dose 240 just to get a nitrate reading unless theres something else going on that i dont understand?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are dosing 240ml of the nitro in a 700l ish system, the product says 10ml = 1ppm nitrate per 100l. We are having to dose 240 just to get a nitrate reading unless theres something else going on that i dont understand?

I do not believe the nitrate dose is likely to be the primary cause of a large pH change.

OP
OP
M

mitchlew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might measure the pH of the dosing solution to see if it might be contaminated with a strong acid of some sort.
Yeah can do all i know is, it seems weird how we are having to dose so much nitrate to get a reading, and how the ph has began dropping. When normally its like 8.3 /8.4 as normal. I guess that the dosing soltuion should be 6-7ph according to my google searching?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah can do all i know is, it seems weird how we are having to dose so much nitrate to get a reading, and how the ph has began dropping. When normally its like 8.3 /8.4 as normal. I guess that the dosing soltuion should be 6-7ph according to my google searching?

3 ppm of dosed nitrate a day doesn't seem excessive to me.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back