OP
OP
N

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley A little update, I'm using the new potassium and the Alk is staying stable and it is raising the potassium. Here is the but. The last four days I've been dosing 10ppm. Yesterday I tested and it was only at 350ppm. So I decided to dose 60ml which should of brought it up to 360ppm but it raised it to 370ppm. Today I tested again 24hrs later and its back down to 350ppm. I'm using the Salifert test kit. How could of the potassium dropped that fast? What could be taking up the potassium?

Here is my parameters: 35.3ppt, 450Ca, 1380Mag, 10.2dkh(The other potassium raised it, so I'm slowly lowing it down to 8.5), 10No3, .58Po4, 77Temp.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley A little update, I'm using the new potassium and the Alk is staying stable and it is raising the potassium. Here is the but. The last four days I've been dosing 10ppm. Yesterday I tested and it was only at 350ppm. So I decided to dose 60ml which should of brought it up to 360ppm but it raised it to 370ppm. Today I tested again 24hrs later and its back down to 350ppm. I'm using the Salifert test kit. How could of the potassium dropped that fast? What could be taking up the potassium?

Here is my parameters: 35.3ppt, 450Ca, 1380Mag, 10.2dkh(The other potassium raised it, so I'm slowly lowing it down to 8.5), 10No3, .58Po4, 77Temp.
What’s the mixing equation for Potassium Chloride

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like an excellent product,. I'd use it before I trusted any Brightwell product that did not list a quality grade. Food grade is a very good assurance of purity.

So sad, however, that the world has come to the point where it lists gluten free and non GMO on an inorganic salt.
No baby Chinchillas were harmed in the production of this potassium chloride so you can feel good about using it...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the mixing equation for Potassium Chloride

Dissolve the needed amount in RO/di. Any amount of RO/DI as long as it dissolves. It is quite soluble.

Use this calculator and the entry for potassium from potassium nitrate, then multiply that recommended dosing amount by 0.74 (because potassium chloride is more potent than potassium nitrate)

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
You’re welcome.

Happy Reefing
i seen the other thread where members used the same potassium chloride with 365mg per 1/8th tsp strength.

They did the calculations to get how much it would be per day.

This calculator does everything, i assume all strength is the same in the calculator ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seen the other thread where members used the same potassium chloride with 365mg per 1/8th tsp strength.

They did the calculations to get how much it would be per day.

This calculator does everything, i assume all strength is the same in the calculator ?

I do not know what exactly you are asking. There’s no set amount per day for any tank. In 20 years mine never needed any.

The calculator I posted shows exactly how much of a solution to dose to a given size tank to boost potassium by a specific amount.

I don’t know what 365 mg per 1/8 teaspoons means. Is someone saying that is the weight of 1/8th teaspoon of the dry potassium chloride?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I do not know what exactly you are asking. There’s no set amount per day for any tank. In 20 years mine never needed any.

The calculator I posted shows exactly how much of a solution to dose to a given size tank to boost potassium by a specific amount.

I don’t know what 365 mg per 1/8 teaspoons means. Is someone saying that is the weight of 1/8th teaspoon of the dry potassium chloride?
that is the strength on the back of the bottle you recommended .

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is the strength on the back of the bottle you recommended .

I’d ignore that, unless there’s a reason to want to use that info. It’s a human supplement, and not intended as a reef supplement. it’s telling you how much potassium you’d get if you ate 1/8 teaspoon.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I’d ignore that, unless there’s a reason to want to use that info. It’s a human supplement, and not intended as a reef supplement. it’s telling you how much potassium you’d get if you ate 1/8 teaspoon.
Got it. So stick with the calculator you provided and multiply by .74

thanks for the clarification

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back