DIY Protein skimmer for 1600gallon system

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I needed a big skimmer for my ongoing 1600 gallon system build. I had a great experience with my reef octopus Diablo skimmer on my last system so my DIY skimmer is based off of this proven design. The big issue with a skimmer of this size is cost and going with a DIY option will save a lot of money. I was looking for an alternative material for the skimmer body and decided on using an hdpe roto molded 60gallon tank. The cost is significantly less than acrylic or PVC. I found that inductor tanks come in all shapes and sizes and all I need to do is cut the bottom off the tank and turn it upside-down to get a great skimmer body. I have made some good progress in the big parts but I have a long ways to go before completion. Please let me know if you have any questions.
uploadfromtaptalk1464832004820.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464832036344.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464832044218.jpg

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to be a beast! Curious how you will make enough bubbles to fill that diameter.

Where did you get the acrylic cylinders of that size?
The skimmer is going to be gravity fed by the overflow and the bubble chamber will be driven by a bubble blaster hy10000s pump to start with the possibility of adding a second bubble blaster pump later. I will use a gate valve to control the internal water level. The cylinders are actually clear pvc. I found a place that sells by the foot large diameter pvc. All of the flat white parts are also pvc sheet. I don't even want to know the cost of acrylic in 8" or 12" diameter.
That's going to be a beast! Curious how you will make enough bubbles to fill that diameter.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh my, what a tank!!
looking forward to seeing that thing in action.

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are definitely going to have to post pictures/videos of this guy in action!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome and following!

OP
OP
AlexG

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pump(s) will you be using for this?
I am going to gravity feed from the over flows as it will be a reeflo Hammerhead driving the system. I figure the overflow will be about 5000 gph so I will split some of that off to supply the skimmer the rest will go straight into the sump. The skimmer will be using the biggest bubble blaster pump available HY10000 and draw from the main chamber into the bubble chamber with the bubble plate on top. I figure I will start with one bubble blaster but the design can accommodate multiple pumps if needed as the bioload of the system increases. I will control the water outflow with a 2" gate valve. There is a 16" access door on the bottom of the tank so I can easily clean the entire skimmer and remove the 12" bubble chamber for cleaning. I am sure there will be lots of tweaking once its assembled. I am still waiting for the sump tank that it will sit in so the plumbing will not be laid out until then. I dont plan to buy any pumps until I am close to filling the system which I figure will be in the fall or winter. I will post more pictures this weekend once I get the bubble chamber completed. If anyone has other pump suggestions for air injection I am open to ideas.

Macropora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up the bubble plate. It's not perfect DIY does not require perfection. What do you guys think?
uploadfromtaptalk1464997757851.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464997766940.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464997774476.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1464997777238.jpg

Bubble plate looks pretty good. Are you going to make that plate removable with one screw in the center or glue down the plate?

Your DIY Skimmer idea is pretty creative. Following along...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back