Uvc on skimmer outtake

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I had an idea of installing a diy uv sterilizer on my external skimmer outlet. Can anyone see any issues with doing that? It's about the right flow rate through there of about 3000lph. I would be looking at 80 - 100w uv lamp, ballast and all that stuff.
Could I not just replace the elbow on the outlet with a T. Use a gasket and all that for the quartz sleeve and uv bulb and have the uv running the length of the outlet inside the pvc.

20240316_130926.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like pretty high flow for a uvb. Check the manufacturer flow rates before you buy. What are you looking to achieve with the UV? I think they are great to have for emergencies, but running them 24 hours a day seems like a waste of money to me. At most I'd run it only at night.

OP
OP
FishOkay

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like pretty high flow for a uvb. Check the manufacturer flow rates before you buy. What are you looking to achieve with the UV? I think they are great to have for emergencies, but running them 24 hours a day seems like a waste of money to me. At most I'd run it only at night.
Really for disease and parasite control/Prevention I was looking at basically using the 80w DD bulb and ballast and they recommend 3000-4000lph for their uv unit I think. It is quite large tank/pond at like 2700L.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back