diy qt

Afish70

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why not. The only bad thing is this tank wouldn't be cycled. You could use water from main display to fill it but there will be no real beneficial bacteria is all.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure you could, put some HOB media in your display sump and when you needed it transfer that into your qt. how big is your system? it would help if you could use water from your DT to fill your QT because then the parameters would match so you could move coral directly to the DT. dispose of the QT water when finished and bleach the media for return to the sump or replace with new. plus there are a lot of articles and posts on here that are more authoritative than I am good luck and have fun.

OP
OP
Tofu Brady

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure you could, put some HOB media in your display sump and when you needed it transfer that into your qt. how big is your system? it would help if you could use water from your DT to fill your QT because then the parameters would match so you could move coral directly to the DT. dispose of the QT water when finished and bleach the media for return to the sump or replace with new. plus there are a lot of articles and posts on here that are more authoritative than I am good luck and have fun.
20 gal is my display size

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gal is my display size
how often do you do water changes? you could save that water for QT or just fill the qt when you make up saltwater for a water change. maybe use the dump water and new combined till you get a full display. if you siphon detritus during water change dump that part and siphon some clear water for the QT

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good suggestions, I’ll echo the use of live rock, media and water from water changes. The most important though is your rock and media.
You’ll want the tank up at least 1-2 weeks prior to putting anything in it and I’d test parameters at least once a week. The other thing you’ll want to watch is your salinity and parameters the smaller water column can really swing things with evaporation.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back