DIY RO/DI ???

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RO/DI unit seems a little expensive speaking that I am on well water and don't have to worry about chlorine. Is there any way I could make my own RODI as a cheaper alternative? Tanks!

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than chlorine to be concerned with on a well than city water. I am on a well also and have a 6 stage RODI unit with dual membranes and di. Heavy iron, sulfer and other metals to name a few. That being said you could build your own by purchasing used parts and such or a little bit at a time through Bulk Reef Supply. however their smallest most inexpensive unit is cheaper to purchase then piecing it together. You can also buy a used unit. On average you can find them between 60 and $100 but you may have to replace the media and membrane.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RO/DI unit seems a little expensive speaking that I am on well water and don't have to worry about chlorine. Is there any way I could make my own RODI as a cheaper alternative? Tanks!

Considering the cost of fish and corals, do you really want to save $100-200 on a RO-DI unit? You can get a very nice 5 stage, 75 gpd unit for less than $200 and a dual membrane unit for less than $300. Being on a well, you should be more concerned, not less concerned about water quality (other than chlorine/chloramine), unless you are having the water quality regularly evaluated as the water utilities do. I would go for a high quality RO-DI system that produces the amount of water you need and also consider a whole house carbon filter to ensure that your water supply is free of the chemical contaminants.

Bruce

benpoole28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a new filter on amazon for about $140 I think. I wouldn't buy a used one unless you know the filters are fairly new. Cost about $70 to replace all the filters and membrane if you buy a used one with old filters. This is a hard hobby to try and cut cost. Saving money now usually ends with headaches later. We spend tons on equipment and livestock, but clean pure water is the most important part and shouldn't be overlooked.

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the cost of fish and corals, do you really want to save $100-200 on a RO-DI unit? You can get a very nice 5 stage, 75 gpd unit for less than $200 and a dual membrane unit for less than $300. Being on a well, you should be more concerned, not less concerned about water quality (other than chlorine/chloramine), unless you are having the water quality regularly evaluated as the water utilities do. I would go for a high quality RO-DI system that produces the amount of water you need and also consider a whole house carbon filter to ensure that your water supply is free of the chemical contaminants.

Bruce

The well water we are on is completely filtered and it has to be since one of my household members has extreme sensitivity to water contaminants. That's why I wasn't too concerned with my water. We just had the water evaluated a few days ago and it came up almost completely pure. There was a slight peak in iron but that was it. I will most likely be getting an RODI unit anyways just to help the little fishies out[emoji4]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The well water we are on is completely filtered and it has to be since one of my household members has extreme sensitivity to water contaminants. That's why I wasn't too concerned with my water. We just had the water evaluated a few days ago and it came up almost completely pure. There was a slight peak in iron but that was it. I will most likely be getting an RODI unit anyways just to help the little fishies out[emoji4]
If you have whole house RO then all you'd need is the di portion of the unit. Just tie it in to a cold water line somewhere.

My house has a softener system (utilizes salt) with iron removal cylinder. My RODI unit is tied in after the softener system and still get tds readings of 197 before input into the unit. Did they check tds? If so, what was it?

OP
OP
babyg2.0

babyg2.0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have whole house RO then all you'd need is the di portion of the unit. Just tie it in to a cold water line somewhere.

My house has a softener system (utilizes salt) with iron removal cylinder. My RODI unit is tied in after the softener system and still get tds readings of 197 before input into the unit. Did they check tds? If so, what was it?

I'm honestly not sure if they checked tds or not. I wasn't home and I don't have the report with me. I can always find out. [emoji16]

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly not sure if they checked tds or not. I wasn't home and I don't have the report with me. I can always find out. [emoji16]
Do you have whole house reverse osmosis or a softener system like I have? If there is any TDS reading whatsoever then you need an Rodi unit.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have a small tank, there was a guy here that made something up with a zero water pitcher. Kinda chancey but worst case scenario might be a consideration.
My daughter lives in a real sandy area of South Carolina and the water comes out of her well at zero the and no contaminants. The sand acts like a huge sand filter I guess. She keeps fresh water tanks with no problem and when I lived in that area I kept FW for years without issue.
Best case would be the RO/DI to sleep easy knowing your good but I can't help but think there might be situations you can slide a little.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great, then I think that you will be in good shape with the RO-DI for your aquarium.

Bruce

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back