DIY screen lids? Share yours or a link!

ajremington68

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2023
Messages
1,103
Reaction score
416
Location
Illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing research and I know going to Home Depot or Lowe's and getting the screen repair kit is the best and cheapest option. however what mesh size should I look for, what color, and what is the best to not block PAR? Also, what are we using to hold the screen in the square to make the lid? I have a 180 and on other tanks, I have had glass lids and HATE cleaning them, I also want to try something new this go around. is there a certain border to buy that won't rust? are there plastic options? which of the types holds up best?
 
Aluminum frame kit and 1/4 in plastic mesh. You do not want to use window screen. It will block light an get covered in dust /dirt over time. I made some for my 180 but wasn't really happy with the look and ended up open top but I don't keep fish that are known to jump.
 
Aluminum frame kit and 1/4 in plastic mesh. You do not want to use window screen. It will block light an get covered in dust /dirt over time. I made some for my 180 but wasn't really happy with the look and ended up open top but I don't keep fish that are known to jump.
alumnium frame kit is all bueno to unbox and put on or do you have to paint over it and cure it?
 
Used a DIY screen door kit. Cut it down to size with a hacksaw.
 
IMG_4128.jpeg

Here’s what it looks like. I don’t remember the exact brand of it, just some basic one I got at Home Depot. I’ve had it for around a year now with no issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new