DIY screen top issues

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to make a diy screen top for my 48x24 IM tank. I have the IM clear screen clip holders I am going to lay the screen in. Am using the classic metal framing and plastic elbows with black 1/4 inch mesh from brs. When I roll the spline with the screen onto the framing, the entire frame shifts when the product is finished. This is due to the screen being pulled tight. If I roll the screen on too loose, the screen ends up laying in the water.

What the heck do I do to not get this screen to bend all out of whack without having a screen so loose it's taking a dip in the tank?! Now I need to but new screen anyway due to it breaking from retrying

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with your specific thing but I've done a few window screens. I would say if you're trying to do a continuous spline like a window it will distort a plastic frame for sure. My suggestion would be to break it into 4 sections. Do the the two long opposing sides first to maintain parallel then do the two short sides.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with your specific thing but I've done a few window screens. I would say if you're trying to do a continuous spline like a window it will distort a plastic frame for sure. My suggestion would be to break it into 4 sections. Do the the two long opposing sides first to maintain parallel then do the two short sides.
It's the corners which get distorted when it's fully together. One side of the screen will be raised higher than the other because of it

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the corners which get distorted when it's fully together. One side of the screen will be raised higher than the other because of it
Hmm, maybe it's pure tension like you said at first then. The frame stretches but the screen does not. I assume you are using nylon screen not metal. You'll have to find the sweet spot unfortunately. I would still try the 4 segments trick.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try putting it together loose and then using a hair drier to slowly shrink the nylon mesh to get it taut and avoid warping the frame. You just need to be careful not to melt through.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try to build a jig or use clamps to secure it down and in position before rolling the screen. It could be possible that will keep it from warping when you roll it.

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you doing opposite sides first? like doing the two long sides first then doing the two short sides next? that seems to work for me.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mfinn is correct, the screen is too long & for lack of a better word "flimsy".
Either a center brace or make it in 2 sections. The spline should pull the screen a little so let that do the tightening.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How could I add a center bar? I'm not sure I can do that with the screen door framing
Cut a piece of the bar long enough to keep the long frame pieces straight when you tuck the screen material in.
The first time I did this I used flat metal tee's and screws. I painted the metal with epoxy spray paint, but after 2-3 years there was some corrosion. So the next one I made I made a tee piece out of acrylic and glued it on. The flat metal tee worked best.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
DD Jumpguard makes a screen top that's really slick ( what I use now) They have a center bar stiffener kit.

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one or know someone who has a 3D printer, Thingiverse has a window screen t that would work to ad a center brace.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one or know someone who has a 3D printer, Thingiverse has a window screen t that would work to ad a center brace.
Do you think I would definitely need a center brace for this top not to warp?

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I would definitely need a center brace for this top not to warp?
The top I made for mine is for a 48" tank. I did not install a center bar, but I am thinking I should. The tank is not up and running yet so I haven't been taking the top on and off to see how flimsy it is but mine pulls in in the middle just a bit.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top I made for mine is for a 48" tank. I did not install a center bar, but I am thinking I should. The tank is not up and running yet so I haven't been taking the top on and off to see how flimsy it is but mine pulls in in the middle just a bit.
Do you think if you made the netting a little more flimsy, that would give less tension to the frame? I'm just trying to make it by before I order an acrylic top

Back