DIY stand for 34 gal solana tank

yngwie111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a solana on its way and am thinking about building my own stand for it. I also have a custom built sump that is 20" long that I would like to use for it. Any suggestions on what type of wood/dimensions/plans to use? I wouldn't mind a stand base bigger than 20 square inches, specially since I'd like to fit my sump in there anyway. Thanks!!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build your stand using the following plans with 2x4’s and top it with ¾ plywood, you will be good to go. This design is way overbuilt and will have no problem holding your tank. Skin the stand in whatever floats your boat. I’ve used both ¼, 3/8 and ½ inch plywood as a skin.

Stand.jpg

OP
OP
yngwie111

yngwie111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you build your stand using the following plans with 2x4’s and top it with ¾ plywood, you will be good to go. This design is way overbuilt and will have no problem holding your tank. Skin the stand in whatever floats your boat. I’ve used both ¼, 3/8 and ½ inch plywood as a skin.

Stand.jpg

Sweet thanks, I had the same concept in mind through some researching, was just curious if there were any other super simpler ways (specially in terms of lower cost and effort) to build a stand specifically for cubes.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also just use 3/4 plywood all around to make a box....similar to commercial stands. That would work as well.

OP
OP
yngwie111

yngwie111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm really? That sounds so much more simple than what's been boggling around in my mind lol, so do you think a four-paned (or 3-paned for back access) 3/4 plywood stand would be enough for roughly 300lbs?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back