DIY stand vs store bought stand

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm thinking of either building a stand or buying one. Can any of you guys tell me if you think this would be cheaper the buying a store bought one . By the way I'm making a stand for an 125 gallon tank

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a wood stand for my 125, and it ended up costing about 200-300 bucks when it was said and done. That was finished and looking pretty good. The benefit of building it yourself is it will look how you want it to look. Now I just had a metal stand for my new build done and it was about 700 bucks.

OP
OP
sharkreef

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a wood stand for my 125, and it ended up costing about 200-300 bucks when it was said and done. That was finished and looking pretty good. The benefit of building it yourself is it will look how you want it to look. Now I just had a metal stand for my new build done and it was about 700 bucks.
Do you have a picture of your wood stand just so I can get an idea of what you did?

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0240.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG

OP
OP
sharkreef

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the front come off?

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I didn't want the traditional doors, so I added provisions for hanging the door panel on so it could be easily removed.

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We built our stand. We wanted a 40b for a sump. If we bought a stand we couldn't fit one. Plus having a whole open span behind the doors instead of a horizontal support is nice. Our stand cost us $250-300 all said and done. We used 2x6 and 2x4s with pocket screws and used 1/4 oak ply to skin it.

OP
OP
sharkreef

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We built our stand. We wanted a 40b for a sump. If we bought a stand we couldn't fit one. Plus having a whole open span behind the doors instead of a horizontal support is nice. Our stand cost us $250-300 all said and done. We used 2x6 and 2x4s with pocket screws and used 1/4 oak ply to skin it.

Is your stand doing good still any problems?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will really impact price is the finished skin and trim molding on the outside of the stand. I think if you keep it simple you could do something for about $60-70. I did the traditional dimensional stand as well based on this plan:

Rule of thumb is if the tank is 4 foot or less, all boards are 2x4's. If the tank is larger than 4 foot, the top boards (red and yellow) are 2x6's, while all others are 2x4's. Here is may actual frame for my five foot 90 gallon DT:

And here is the stand skinned with 3/8's plywood and simple rectangular pine trim, and doors I made. That open panel was purposely done to expose the refugium of the sump where two clowns hang out.

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the oak really cost a bunch, but the plywood is expensive also. I used 3/4" for the top and bottom, 1/2" for the back and then 1/4" oak plywood to skin it.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The finishing portion was where the cost was at. I think the frame itself was less than $30. I probably put just over $100 into birch plywood, trim, stain, and poly. The added benefit as mentioned above was that you have the back open, and I also wanted a front section that came completely off for sump install and maintenance.

19447594896_8c4b161285_b.jpg%22

f6589c38a1e80cac51196e4dfc5c5767.jpg

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your stand doing good still any problems?

It's been running for over a year! No problems at all!

It was also easier to plumb

Use pocket screws and no need for wood strips in the corners

6' 125 w/ 40b sump

Little stand underneath is for Gravity ATO.

retiredsailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the ability I would recommend building one. You will be able to decide just how it looks and how much space it provides underneath.

retiredsailor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!! Some of the pre built 75G stands I saw had wondering. They just particle board and very flimsy looking.

I wish I had taken the time to build my own stand for my 75G. The standard one we got has very little room underneath. The only way to get the sump in was through the top, meaning there is no moving it now. Unless I cut a hole in the side... which I think I will be doing.

Decide what you want the stand for. If it is just to hold the tank then buying a pre-built may be the way too go. But if you are planning on a sump, ATO and other things underneath, you may want to make your own. That way you can build it to fit what you are already planning, and leave extra room for additional equipment later.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it all depends on what you are looking for. I have had both store bought and home built stands. I prefer the stands I build because I keep things simple and don't worry much about the outside look. I also prefer lower stands and it is easier to build to my needs rather than look at an expensive custom stand.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store bought stand that I owned, got wet and then began to come apart. Since I am a DYI enthusiast, I have built 4 stands myself and they will hold almost any tank weight. I have used 2 x 4 frames, but prefer cabinet style stands. Plywood is so much stronger than 2 x framing, easier to work with and to keep straight.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back