Diy stand wrapping

Qbmafia444

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am planning a diy stand build for my SCA 100 gallon. Now the dimension are 48 by 20 so I am cutting 2x4 to accommodate those dimensions. 48 inches front and back and 17 inches for the sides. However I want to wrap the frame with 3/4 inch board but I do not want the extra 3/4 inch edge. So if I reduce the above mentioned measurements by 1 1/2 inches will the structural support still hold or will it compromise the stand? Being that the actual main support legs will be 3/4 inch shorter on each side so I can have the edges of stand line up with the actual tank.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem at all.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, you could laminate two pieces of quality 3/4” plywood together and achieve greater strength and rigidity than you could with 2x4’s. Also better dimensional stability.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am planning a diy stand build for my SCA 100 gallon. Now the dimension are 48 by 20 so I am cutting 2x4 to accommodate those dimensions. 48 inches front and back and 17 inches for the sides. However I want to wrap the frame with 3/4 inch board but I do not want the extra 3/4 inch edge. So if I reduce the above mentioned measurements by 1 1/2 inches will the structural support still hold or will it compromise the stand? Being that the actual main support legs will be 3/4 inch shorter on each side so I can have the edges of stand line up with the actual tank.
I was curious about this as well as I hate the extra edge from the plywood skin. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I would think that if you were attaching the plywood skin directly to a wood frame, that you would want to make sure that the skin made direct contact with the floor. This way the weight of the filled tank wouldn't be on the screws holding the skin. Does that make sense?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, you could laminate two pieces of quality 3/4” plywood together and achieve greater strength and rigidity than you could with 2x4’s. Also better dimensional stability.
Are you saying to basically make the stand entirely out of 1 1/2" plywood without 2x4s by laminating the plywood together?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else have thoughts on this? I wanna start building my stand but wanna be sure on this

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really if you look at a couple commercially available stands at a LFS you're going to find them made entirely from 3/4 mdf. So anything greater than that thickness will increase your strength. So a laminated panel 1 1/2" thick will definitely be stronger.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back