DIY sump help

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading to a 220 gallon tank. I want to use a 75 gallon tank as a sump. Are there any baffle kits out there? Exotic marine used to make one for a 75 but stopped because the 75 dimensions were not consistent between manufacturers. They make a kit for a 55 but I’d really like something bigger. I love the EMS kit because it looks easy and has a filter sock section. how have you designed your sump? What did you use for baffles? Attach some pictures and help me buy a clue

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built two 75 gallon sumps with glass baffles that came from a glass shop. These were for friends that didn't know how to use silicone.

1620569101903.png

1620569181995.png

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did same as above years ago. Very affordable assuming you measure correctly the first time and don’t need to go back to the glass shop three times like some idiot I heard about. I liked being able to size the compartments just how I wanted and do creative things with the baffles (eg put in a screen guards to keep snails away from pump section, etc). Only issue was I couldn’t figure out how to do water level adjustment in the skim chamber. Following to see if you figure that out from a DIY perspective

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are baffle kits for a 75g on ebay, although I've never used them so I can't comment on the quality of them. I made my baffles out of glass panels that I bought from a glass shop also. Just buying properly sized glass panels is cheap and easy except for figuring out a holder for filter socks. I don't use socks in mine but I did 3d print a hang on sock holder to use, but didn't use it because I don't have room for filter socks.
I can't provide pics because I am not home, but mine looks similar to what was posted by @redfishbluefish other than mine is smaller and my silicone job is way, way, way less neat.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about premade kits, but you should be able to get some glass cut at a local glass shop relatively cheaply. That’s what I did. They also polished the edges so they weren’t sharp.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • None.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.5%

Back