0   0   0
sump.jpg

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture's worth a thousand words. LOL

There aren't any dimensions that are chisled in stone. The beauty of DIY is you can make it up as you go. Just make sure you leave enough freeboard (volume above the normal water line) to hold the amount of water that will drain into the sump when the pump is shut off.

Last edited:

snooked321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine cut out of 1/4" glass and 1/8" clearance on each side. Middle baffle one inch high. Some do diferently, but this is working for me.

DSC02919.jpg

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is the purpose of the eggcrate barrier on the end?

atg, I usually leave my baffles about 1 1/2" to 2" shorter than the height of the aquarium and of course they have to be long enough to fit across the aquarium. The tighter the fit the better IMO, but not so tight that they bow.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heighth will be determined by how much water drains back when you pull the plug on the return pump... What size tank do you have above it?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 20gal long tank it holds 1.8gal per inch of water in the tank.. Figure 2 gallons a inch to be safe...

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's quiet simple to do in person but reading the math will most likely confuse you to no tomorrow lol... Hmm do you have a overflow installed already and are the returns drilled or over the top?? If the breeder is ready to go the easiest thing to do would be fill the sump half way while the tank is running just below the overflow and plug in the return pump.. After it's running for a few minutes mark the sump water level, pull the plug and see how much drains back above your line... That will tell you how much room you need in the sump to prevent a overflow during a power outage..
If you want to do the math you would need to measure from the top of the breeder to the lowest point in the overflow or return which ever is lower "under the water line while full" say its 3" down for example...A 40 breeder has 2.8 gal of water per inch so that would mean you will have almost 8.5 gallons of water wash back.. So you would need to have at least 5" above the baffles in your 20l sump...

To do the math you take your display...40 breeder
36long x 18 wide x 17 tall divide by 231 = 47.6 gallons take the 47.6 and divide by your heighth 17" and you get 2.8 gallons per inch of water in the display...

20long sump...
30" x 13" x13" divide by 231= 21.94 divide by 13 tall = 1.68 gallons..

Hope that helps... It looks very confusing but it's not it's real simple lol...

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back