DIY Sump/Refugium Plans????

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm relatively new to the hobby and am starting on planning a 75G semi-aggressive fish/live rock/coral (probably) tank. I had thought about purchasing an eshopps sump/fuge, but would like to save some $$$.

Does anybody know of any good detailed plans/instructions on how to build your own sump/fuge? I'm wanting to set it up so that I can have my skimmer and heater in there, plus room for pods and chaeto (?), the pump, and anything else that would be needed. I've never done anything like this...nor have I had a sump or fuge...so I'm going to need detailed plans on what to buy and how to assemble.

I've seen this ebook advertised, but was wondering if it was worth getting or not:
http://www.danoreef.com/diy_sump_refugium_plans.html
Or if anybody knew of any better plans?

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen that book, but I'm sure it is not for building a sump but more how to put one together out of a glass tank. It takes some woodworking skills and some tools to cut and edge finish acrylic. If you want to build one yourself, there's a loooooong post on RC on how to build a tank from acrylic and there's also the different types of acrylic to use or not use. You might be better off getting a Petco $1.oo a gal tank and making that a sump, or order one from me.

gl

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a 40g breeder from Petco.com during the buy 1 dollar per gallon sale. It might still be going on. I have a 75g DT. You can see my sump/refugium on my build thread. If you like it & if you want step by step let me know & I can post a diy thread to show you how.

OP
OP
Steve Maxwell

Steve Maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a 40g breeder from Petco.com during the buy 1 dollar per gallon sale. It might still be going on. I have a 75g DT. You can see my sump/refugium on my build thread. If you like it & if you want step by step let me know & I can post a diy thread to show you how.

Would you please post a DIY thread? Don't know if I can wait until the next Petco/Petsmart tank sale, but it would still be cheaper than buying a sump/refugium...gotta save money where I can, especially after I just had to buy a new laptop for my wife since her dinosaur laptop crashed :(

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeder on craigs list for $20. leak test it (mine was actually brand new with the sticker still on it). Find a glass shop to cut X" 1/4" glass, and some GE I silicone. For right around 50 bucks, you have a sump.

Then the only question is how big do you want the compartments. My first compartment is big enough for my Aquamaxx EM200 skimmer, with the inlet facing the drain pipe of the display. My refugium area is approximately 14" long, x 18" wide x 9" high. there is a 9" baffle between this and the skimmer section. From the refugium to the return, there's 3 9" baffles. The first is on the floor of the sump. The 2nd is off the floor by 1-1.5" (mine is 1.5 as I only had 2x4 scrap laying around) and the last baffle is on the floor of the sump, forming an over, under over bubble trap. The area is my return, and holds a Sicce 4.0 pump and is also 9" deep. The larger the return section, the less noticeable evaporation will be.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how we did ours the ol petco dollar per gallon sale got glass baffles cut at Lowe's n put it together not the prettiest but works great for our needs. I run a 29g 3 chamber has filter sock and skimmer in 1st 2nd is fuge with 2 heaters in case 1 fails ph and temp probes 3rd is return pump ato and another digital temp thermometer. Also plumbed off return pump is a brs dual reactor running phosguard and matrix carbon in a reactor and purigen in the other. It also feeds a 2lf phosban 150 reactor running matrix biological media. So a lot can be done from the petco sale tanks lol.

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear that it's still going on, such a good deal! Of course $20 off craigslist is a steal!!!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back