DIY-Tide control reef system (low budget)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Joe, like cup of jo, or jomama, instead of yo mama. Please see my short video of my 30 gallon ghetto reef.
YouTube "My ghetto reef tank with tide control pt1".It also has 90 gallon refugium (work in progress) outside. 1/4hp chiller bought for $75. Let me know what I can buy to replace some of my low budget devices I made. At the same time, keeping cost low. O' yea, please subscribe too. Let me know.

Last edited:

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s interesting. Is the whirlpool motor on constant duty or just for tide? I’d be worried that it would have some metal parts exposed to the salt water.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, it really needs to be encased, I have checked it from time to time, no heat. It actually turns only the circulating pump $7 in video. There's more to tidal system in video. I made it so if it ever stops working, it can be repairs easily(tidal system ). Next video will show how it works.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, it really needs to be encased, I have checked it from time to time, no heat. It actually turns only the circulating pump $7 in video. There's more to tidal system in video. I made it so if it ever stops working, it can be repairs easily(tidal system ). Next video will show how it works.

Cool! Is it a cold water system or tropical? Will there be filter feeders? I always think of mussels and filter feeders with tidal systems. I’ve always wanted to do a cold water system with some local fauna.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK gals and guys. Today just bought a bueatiful carnation coral, it fully extended its self after it acclimated in my tank. Added more refugium, etc.... here's some photos. 20171215_154041-1.jpg 20171215_153417.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O'yea, say hello to my little friends
20171215_153729-1.jpg
Your going to want a much larger container for your mangroves.
I am not that far from you and had a large qt outside for over a year. It was well insulated. How do keep from having large temp flucations with your two tanks outside?

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your going to want a much larger container for your mangroves.
I am not that far from you and had a large qt outside for over a year. It was well insulated. How do keep from having large temp flucations with your two tanks outside?

1600 watts of heat. Through aquarium heaters.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1600 watts of heat. Through aquarium heaters.
That is a lot of electricity. I suggest you insulate at least some of the outer surface. I had only 500 or possibly 750 Watts for a 270 bin outside. I insulated it fairly well and covered it with 1” styrofoam every night.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back