OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks :) no worries, a lot of the post isn't really required reading, it's more for background knowledge. I've been thinking about writing up a few shorter articles more like "how-tos" on specific topics, like putting together a cheap and simple battery backup for Ecotech Vortech pumps or Jebao Wavemakers, but I just haven't had the time.

You're definitely right, a strictly-DC system is going to be much more efficient than using an inverter. Inverters get up to 90% efficiency, but often that efficiency is much lower unless you approach 100% of the inverter's rated capacity. Heaters aren't usually required in emergencies anyway, and even in colder climates, I wouldn't try to run one on an inverter. They suck up way too much power. The tricky part is DC-only systems are a bit more complex because the DC pump options on the market vary so much.

If you have Ecotech Vortech pumps, the system can be really straight forward. All you need is a 12V battery, a charger, battery clamps to connect to the battery (optional, depending on the battery terminal type), a 1.3mm x 3.5mm plug (I think it's 1.3mm x 3.5mm, check before buying) to plug into the Vortech controller, and some spare wire. To set up the system, first you solder some wire to the plug (I think center pin is positive, again, double check). Next, attach the other end of the wires to the battery (via the clamps or by screw terminals). Plug the plug into the Vortech's battery backup port. Then, attach the battery charger to the point of sale/neg terminals on the battery. Finally, plug in the charger. When the power fails, the battery will power the pump through the backup port. When the power comes back on, the main power supply will power the pump again and the charger will recharge the battery so it's ready for next time. That's an Ecotech Vortech battery backup for about $80 - $90. Fun fact, the Ecotech battery backup actually contains a 35Ah battery, so this system will give you the exact same run-time as an Ecotech battery backup for half the price (pretty sure it'll void your warranty though, so do this at your own peril).

For Vortechs, it's easy because the backup port does the automatic switching for you. The Vortechs will also take 12VDC directly and don't require any step-up or step-down of the DC voltage. For most other DC pumps, it gets a little more tricky.

Take Jebaos for an example. I've read that the Jebao Wavemakers will take a 12V power source, but they'll only run at half speed (not really a problem in a power outage as it will conserve power). The problem is they don't have an automatic switch. You can basically handle this in one of two ways. You can build a system like the one above and add a 24VDC relay. The relay can be powered by the Jebao power supply. When the power is on, the relay is energized and the Jebao power supply powers the controller. When the power fails, the relay closes, and battery power runs the controller. When the power comes back on, the Jebao power supply begins powering the pump again, and the battery charger recharges the battery. Not terribly complex, but you have to know about relays and how to set them up.

Another option for the Jebaos is to use a "direct" approach and power the pump directly from a 24V battery system. Basically, you would use two batteries to create about 24VDC and always run the pumps off that. You would attach a 24V power supply instead of a smart charger. When the power is on, the pumps draw from the power supply. When the power is off, the pumps draw from the batteries. When the power comes back on, the power supply charges the batteries and powers the pumps. So, in this case, you buy two batteries and wire them in series. You buy a 24VDC power supply and attach it to the circuit to keep the batteries charged. You attach the batteries to your pump and you're done. This approach is simpler, but it's not ideal for several reasons.

First, 12V batteries can be held a continuous voltage, usually 13.6V - 13.8V (this is called floating). While batteries have pretty good life expectancy when stored at float voltage, the problem is they are never fully charge after discharging. A full charge for a lead acid battery usually involves going above 14V for a brief period. If you float a battery at 13.6V, it'll never actually get to the 14V range, which could lead to sulfation or stratification. This could reduce the life of the battery. The smart chargers I recommend usually involve a cycle at 14.2V - 14.6V, so they avoid this concern. I don't have any good data to back this up, but I believe having proper charge cycles keeps the batteries better for longer.

The second problem is the float voltage. A 24V battery bank will actually have a safe float voltage closer to 27.2V - 27.6V. It's easy to find power supplies that provide 24V. It's much more difficult to find power supplies that supply between 27.2V - 27.6V. Not impossible, just difficult and expensive. A related problem is that most pumps (the Jebao included) are likely set up to take 24VDC, not 27V - 28V. If you attempted to run a 24V system on almost 28V, I'm not sure how it would behave long term. Those extra 4V might not be a problem, but the might be.

A third option for Jebaos is to run a "direct" system with a 12V battery bank (and 12V power supply), but run the power through a 24V step-up converter. This would work like the 24V system, except it's cheaper because you only need one battery and the pump will always get 24V because of the converter. The downside with this, again, is that you're floating the battery (might reduce life expectancy) and it's hard to find 13.6V power supplies that give a proper float voltage.

Another anciallry concern with both the 24V and 12V "direct" systems have more points of failure. In both systems, your pumps, whether the power is on or off, rely on a commodity 12V or 24V power supply (the one that charges the batteries and runs the pumps). In the 12V system, you have an additional point of failure, the 12V to 24V converter.

Ecotech Vectras and Jebao return pumps are a different can of worms. I'm not sure Jebao returns can run on 12VDC, and Vectras (I believe) run on 36V. So the answer gets even more complicated if those are thrown into the mix.

So I don't know if I answered your question, or just gave you more questions to ask o_O but either way, let me know if you have any other thoughts and I'd be glad to help out if I can :)

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a car battery sitting not being used would it have changed once in a while? If so how often?

Hey @Reef-junky sorry for not getting back to you. Yes, the battery would need to be kept charged. If it's an AGM battery, they usually have relatively low self-discharge. I typically choose to leave mine on a charger though. With the smart chargers I recommended in the original post (ones like this), you actually can leave them connected 24/7, even when the battery is full. They stop charging when the battery is full and top it off automatically as it self-discharges. Another plus is that in the event of a power failure, if you always leave the charger plugged in, it'll automatically start charging again once the power comes back on.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a way better option than a standard UPS. Wish more people had something like this on their systems.

Quoting and old post, but thanks a lot Ryan, this is really nice to hear :) I wish this setup was a bit more simple.. I think the DIY portion is a big barrier to a lot of people implementing something like this.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Reef-junky sorry for not getting back to you. Yes, the battery would need to be kept charged. If it's an AGM battery, they usually have relatively low self-discharge. I typically choose to leave mine on a charger though. With the smart chargers I recommended in the original post (ones like this), you actually can leave them connected 24/7, even when the battery is full. They stop charging when the battery is full and top it off automatically as it self-discharges. Another plus is that in the event of a power failure, if you always leave the charger plugged in, it'll automatically start charging again once the power comes back on.

Thanks

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much discussion with people who know a bit more about electronics than I do, I must update the statement I made in this article regarding my recommendation for modified sine wave (MSW) inverters. I had originally said that MSW should be fine even if they're a bit harder on aquarium equipment.

Unfortunately, it's not just as easy as saying that a MSW inverter should be fine. Depending on the quality of the inverter, it should be okay. But, there's no way of knowing that. Cheap inverters usually don't disclose THD (total harmonic distortion) and almost never include automatic voltage regulation (AVR). So, the power from these types of inverters could be really good, or it could be really bad. It's hard to tell.

This matters because modified sine wave inverters may be harder on electronics than I had originally anticipated. Devices that run on AC power, such as traditional AC pumps and aquarium heaters, will likely operate fine on MSW inverters, even if the power is not that clean. DC devices, or those with an AC/DC power supply, might not do so well. I had originally thought that AC/DC power supplies would just run hotter, but this might not be the case. Depending on the quality of the AC/DC supply, the unclean AC power from an inverter may actually cause the AC/DC power supply to fail. This likely won't affect the device, so the pump or controller would likely be okay, but still, most AC/DC power supplies cost about $30 at a minimum. More expensive Ecotech supplies cost $50 - $75 or more. This is not an insignificant cost.

If you only have AC equipment, like traditional powerheads, pumps or skimmer pumps, then a modified sine wave inverter is fine. If you want to run electronics, a pure sine wave inverter is probably better. It's worth noting that I'm still running my DC equipment on a MSW inverter, but I am aware of the risks and am prepared to replace my DC power supplies (or even the pumps themselves) if they fail.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much discussion with people who know a bit more about electronics than I do, I must update the statement I made in this article regarding my recommendation for modified sine wave (MSW) inverters. I had originally said that MSW should be fine even if they're a bit harder on aquarium equipment.

Unfortunately, it's not just as easy as saying that a MSW inverter should be fine. Depending on the quality of the inverter, it should be okay. But, there's no way of knowing that. Cheap inverters usually don't disclose THD (total harmonic distortion) and almost never include automatic voltage regulation (AVR). So, the power from these types of inverters could be really good, or it could be really bad. It's hard to tell.

This matters because modified sine wave inverters may be harder on electronics than I had originally anticipated. Devices that run on AC power, such as traditional AC pumps and aquarium heaters, will likely operate fine on MSW inverters, even if the power is not that clean. DC devices, or those with an AC/DC power supply, might not do so well. I had originally thought that AC/DC power supplies would just run hotter, but this might not be the case. Depending on the quality of the AC/DC supply, the unclean AC power from an inverter may actually cause the AC/DC power supply to fail. This likely won't affect the device, so the pump or controller would likely be okay, but still, most AC/DC power supplies cost about $30 at a minimum. More expensive Ecotech supplies cost $50 - $75 or more. This is not an insignificant cost.

If you only have AC equipment, like traditional powerheads, pumps or skimmer pumps, then a modified sine wave inverter is fine. If you want to run electronics, a pure sine wave inverter is probably better. It's worth noting that I'm still running my DC equipment on a MSW inverter, but I am aware of the risks and am prepared to replace my DC power supplies (or even the pumps themselves) if they fail.
very insightful, thank you for sharing

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chipmunkofdoom2

Ok, I'm mostly just looking for verification on some estimates. I had a line run from a remote closet off the garage to the wall behind the tank for the sole purpose of supplying DIY UPS power. I'm getting closer to completion and need to settle on the battery/batteries. On the UPS will be the Apex Aquabus (because one of my four power bars will remain on), my return pump which will not idle down, and two MP-60's which will drop down to the minimum. I have a Tripp-Lite in place for the moment just to cover momentary power losses because my Vortechs would go missing from the Apex almost every time we get one of our frequent Florida power blips. With things mostly set for the speed they will run the Tripp-Lite display is showing 100 watts. I want an absolute minimum run time of 12 hours. Using your calculator that would be 136ah, so I might as well go with 200ah and have around 17 hours. IF I did all of that correctly...

What are the pros/cons of using a single 200ah battery vs. a pair of 100ah? After looking at various prices it also looks like I will stick with the UPG brand AGM you have in your article.

Otherwise, while you mentioned AIMS was an unknown I couldn't pass on the price point for their 1200W pure sine inverter with switch. Battery charger will still be separate. I also had my generator delivered and it's a dual fuel inverting generator, 3100W so I'm at least getting closer to covered :)

Thanks!

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ScooterV. The generator is just a stand-by right? It doesn't turn on automatically? Also, could you share the AIMS inverter you got?

With regards to the batteries, I don't think there are really any pros or cons to doing it either way. I personally like to have two batteries. If my power fails and I drain down the first battery, I can swap in the second and recharge the first (I can either take it somewhere that has power, or I can hook it to my car let the alternator charge it). You also have the benefit of redundancy. If the power fails and you discover that one of your batteries somehow went dead (not lost its charge, lost its ability to hold a charge) then you at least have one more.

With regards to runtime, it's difficult to quantify exactly how much power the inverter will consume. Inverters have really high inefficiency when you run them far below their rated wattage. I have a 1,100W MSW inverter and when powering a 5W test load, the inverter draws over 10W from the battery (over 100% inefficiency). I've been hoping to do more efficiency testing, but I need a multimeter that can test higher DC currents and I haven't yet been able to afford one. Knowing which AIMS you got might help determine the efficiency rating, but it's hard to say.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the generator is just a manual stand by with a pile of extension cords, lol.

This is the inverter: https://www.aimscorp.net/1200-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-with-Built-In-Transfer.html

And here I was thinking a larger inverter would allow me to manually plug more things in if/when needed and have the overhead to do so. Didn't know it would then be much less efficient for the run time on the basics I want.

Thanks on the input for the batteries. I was thinking a single 200ah, or a pair of 100ah in parallel. It didn't cross my mind to have two but swap them out as needed. That sounds like a good plan, other than if I'm not going to be present for some reason. I'll have to ponder on that :)

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ScooterV, that actually appears to be a pretty good find. This actually lists THD values of < 3%. This is pretty good, especially considering the price point. It also includes the transfer switch which is nice. This is not a well-known brand, but from the specs available this appears to be a good option.

The efficiency might be higher with this inverter than with mine. Because of the way that MSW inverters work, they actually provide more power than needed at times depending on the position in the AC waveform. The manual seems pretty insistent that the efficiency is always about 90%. The manual explicitly states that on 200Ah of battery capacity, the inverter will run a 360W load for 6 hours. If we convert that to a 100W load, that's 21 hours of run-time on 200Ah of battery (or about 11 hours on one 100Ah battery). That assumes the efficiency scales in a linear manner, which may or may not be the case.

It sounds like you really just need your system to run your stuff until you can get home and power up your generator. If money is no object, you can just get two 100Ah batteries (or one 200Ah battery) and call it a day. From the sounds of it, this inverter shouldn't be too inefficient. Personally, I would order one 100Ah battery and do a test run with your draw of 100W. If the runtimes are consistent with what the manual claims, you will probably get 11 hours out of the battery and you may not need another. If you do this, be sure to shut the system off at 12V, as this is 75% discharged and you don't want to draw your batteries too much lower than that.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the additional info!!! While I'd hate to say "Money is no object", with everything invested already and the livestock list continuing to grow another $175 or so for a second battery will help me sleep. I think I will go with dual 100ah. Once I'm on generator, and IF I have somewhere to go charge them, I can then charge just one at a time to rotate but otherwise leave them both connected. I could work on charging one at a time from the generator even, just in case I run out of fuel and be able to get at least a little more time before I freak :) If I'm on vacation and a house sitter who would be perplexed it will also give me time to call the LFS or reef club and get someone over. Well, assuming it's not the middle of a hurricane and just have to wait.

OP
OP
chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for the additional info!!! While I'd hate to say "Money is no object", with everything invested already and the livestock list continuing to grow another $175 or so for a second battery will help me sleep. I think I will go with dual 100ah. Once I'm on generator, and IF I have somewhere to go charge them, I can then charge just one at a time to rotate but otherwise leave them both connected. I could work on charging one at a time from the generator even, just in case I run out of fuel and be able to get at least a little more time before I freak :) If I'm on vacation and a house sitter who would be perplexed it will also give me time to call the LFS or reef club and get someone over. Well, assuming it's not the middle of a hurricane and just have to wait.

Agreed, I suppose I didn't literally mean "if money was no object." Everyone is on some kind of budget. As you pointed out though, your 270g probably cost many thousands of dollars to set up. $175 is a small price to pay for another 10 hours of battery.

Speaking of tank-sitter, you might want to consider how your battery system operates if you're on vacation. Linking both batteries together would give you 200Ah of total capacity and your tank sitter won't have to worry about swapping batteries. On the flip side, you can't use one battery up, swap out the other, then start charging the spare.

Maybe to get the best of both worlds you can run on one battery while you're home, then combine batteries if you leave town.

Either way, if power fails, once you get your generator up and running, I would make sure your battery chargers are one of the things you run on the generator. Just so you can be ready in case the outage lasts longer or you run out of gas and need to get more.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to try this but the wiring part makes me very nervous. I wish I could watch a video showing how to do this.

ApexConsumer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was inspired by your post and did some rough calculations using internet info to figure out what I can expect to need for my battery backup. I would love for you to point out any errors and provide some feedback about my plan below.

The plan is to design a system to power 350 watts of heaters for my 120-gallon system and 50 watts of powerheads or a pump over an 8-hour outage during the dead of winter in Tennessee (worst-case scenario). I determined this amount of heating through my research that says I need to take into account the difference in the ambient air temp in the house set at 68 degrees in the winter compared to the temperature set for the tank set at 89 degrees. However, in the event of an outage, the temperature in the house would begin to fall over time. Geez, this gets complicated. Let's keep it at 400 watts for now.

Four Costco deep cycle 6-volt batteries wired together to make 12 volts should provide roughly 420 ah with a discharge rate of 20 hours at an estimated cost of $400. I believe I can use approximately 50 percent of that (210 ah) without harming the long term life of the batteries. However, the other 210 ah could be used in an emergency at the cost of long term battery bank life.

Power (Watts) = I(Amps) * V(Voltage)

Amps = Power/Voltage

400/12 = 33.33A

Assuming that the batteries are fully charged at the time of the outage, then it will have the full 210AH of usable capacity during the blackout.

These batteries are not linked to a boost converter or anything like that so it would be 33.33 amps at 12 volts, so we don't need to do any more calculating here. If the power output were not at 12v, then we would reverse the power equation to do 12*210 = 2,520 WH. This means the battery can provide 2,520 Watts throughout 20 hours. I have a 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter for this project.

210 AH (Amp Hours)/ 33.3 Amps = 6.3 hours.
or
2520 WH (Watt Hours)/400 (Watts) = 6.3 hours.

This gets me close to my 8-hour goal for powering the tank in the worst case scenario. However, I learned that the discharge rate means that the battery can only supply the full ah rating if used over a certain number of hours (20 hours for these batteries). The battery ah available to use falls the faster it is used in this case over 6.3 hours.

I still need to figure out exactly how much of the ah would be usable over that 6.3 hours. Going to make a wild guess of 160ah for now and think around 4.8 hours of run time could still be expected in the dead of winter. Need to research more... Do you know?

These are all round numbers for simplicity and do not take into account resistance. That would reduce the run time slightly.

Btw this has made me explore alternative heating options as the expected cost for a system rises primarily due to the heaters. I do have inverters for my cars and a gas powered generator to use if needed. I also plan to buy a bucket of calcium chloride to keep in the attic along with some cheap thermal blankets to wrap the tank with to conserve heat. I wanted a system that would seamlessly take care if the tank for the majority of outages and allow me (more importantly my girlfriend) to sleep through all night time outages. I am beginning to think a winter outage would still require me to wake up and take steps to provide additional power for heating unless I wanted to spend money on a total of 8 batteries (nope).

The plan is to also use this system for my home office backup (not during a winter outage). I would wire each set of 6-volt batteries to be removable and portable so that I could take half of the system with me for car camping, etc. Eventually, I would like to add a few solar panels, so this is also a great excuse to start a home battery bank.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your winter temps are a lot different than mine.

Temperature is the least important factor during a power outage, surface exchange is the most.

With your apex if you buy a 12 volt adapter the head unit can tell when you have a power failure. You plug that into the interruptible source and your EB power bar into the UPS or homebrew backup.

With that knowledge you can program your heaters to turn off during a power outage and lower their own temperature and times by doing customizable outputs.

Here is the line of code that turns off my UV / Reactor loop during a power outage to save my ups charge.
If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

I have 2 heaters in my system, I shut one off after x amount of power outage time to save ups power, as such.

NoPow (Virtual outlet)
Set OFF
If Power Apex OFF 000 Then ON
Defer 030:00 Then ON

Heater 2 (Heater Outlet)
Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output HEAT_STG_1 = ON Then ON
If DoW S-T-T-S Then OFF
If Output HEAT_STG_2 = ON Then ON
If Temp > 79.0 Then OFF
If Temp_B > 79.0 Then OFF
If Power Apex OFF 000 Then ON
If Outlet NoPow = ON Then OFF

That should help you dramatically extend your ups life. I personally find discarded UPS's and then hack in my own batteries for them.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was inspired by your post and did some rough calculations using internet info to figure out what I can expect to need for my battery backup. I would love for you to point out any errors and provide some feedback about my plan below.

The plan is to design a system to power 350 watts of heaters for my 120-gallon system and 50 watts of powerheads or a pump over an 8-hour outage during the dead of winter in Tennessee (worst-case scenario). I determined this amount of heating through my research that says I need to take into account the difference in the ambient air temp in the house set at 68 degrees in the winter compared to the temperature set for the tank set at 89 degrees. However, in the event of an outage, the temperature in the house would begin to fall over time. Geez, this gets complicated. Let's keep it at 400 watts for now.

Four Costco deep cycle 6-volt batteries wired together to make 12 volts should provide roughly 420 ah with a discharge rate of 20 hours at an estimated cost of $400. I believe I can use approximately 50 percent of that (210 ah) without harming the long term life of the batteries. However, the other 210 ah could be used in an emergency at the cost of long term battery bank life.

Power (Watts) = I(Amps) * V(Voltage)

Amps = Power/Voltage

400/12 = 33.33A

Assuming that the batteries are fully charged at the time of the outage, then it will have the full 210AH of usable capacity during the blackout.

These batteries are not linked to a boost converter or anything like that so it would be 33.33 amps at 12 volts, so we don't need to do any more calculating here. If the power output were not at 12v, then we would reverse the power equation to do 12*210 = 2,520 WH. This means the battery can provide 2,520 Watts throughout 20 hours. I have a 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter for this project.

210 AH (Amp Hours)/ 33.3 Amps = 6.3 hours.
or
2520 WH (Watt Hours)/400 (Watts) = 6.3 hours.

This gets me close to my 8-hour goal for powering the tank in the worst case scenario. However, I learned that the discharge rate means that the battery can only supply the full ah rating if used over a certain number of hours (20 hours for these batteries). The battery ah available to use falls the faster it is used in this case over 6.3 hours.

I still need to figure out exactly how much of the ah would be usable over that 6.3 hours. Going to make a wild guess of 160ah for now and think around 4.8 hours of run time could still be expected in the dead of winter. Need to research more... Do you know?

These are all round numbers for simplicity and do not take into account resistance. That would reduce the run time slightly.

Btw this has made me explore alternative heating options as the expected cost for a system rises primarily due to the heaters. I do have inverters for my cars and a gas powered generator to use if needed. I also plan to buy a bucket of calcium chloride to keep in the attic along with some cheap thermal blankets to wrap the tank with to conserve heat. I wanted a system that would seamlessly take care if the tank for the majority of outages and allow me (more importantly my girlfriend) to sleep through all night time outages. I am beginning to think a winter outage would still require me to wake up and take steps to provide additional power for heating unless I wanted to spend money on a total of 8 batteries (nope).

The plan is to also use this system for my home office backup (not during a winter outage). I would wire each set of 6-volt batteries to be removable and portable so that I could take half of the system with me for car camping, etc. Eventually, I would like to add a few solar panels, so this is also a great excuse to start a home battery bank.

Any feedback is appreciated.

heating is really a problem. To make things worse, if power goes out, so does your home heating.
the battery backup I setup only powers a single powerhead (I gave up figuring how to power a heater) to keep water movement going while I go get gas for my small generator. This of course won't work if I'm out of town.

ApexConsumer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the responses!

Does anyone see a problem with my math?

The goal is to keep the tank alive overnight or while I am at work during the worse case scenario for my area. I don't see being able to turn off the heaters in the winter in TN being an option, but might be an option I'm the summer time. I never really had to worry about temperature when I lived in south Florida. However, I am a project manager and have to have a backup plan in place. Funny thing is that I currently only have 1 mushroom in the entire system...

I am reconsidering using AGM batteries for the 80% DOD and lack hydrogen gas issues. I have also considered insulating the backside of the display tank and non visible areas of the sump with styrofoam with a radiant heat barrier.

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great thread. I need to get some backup sorted. It's been on my todo list for ages. Recently had a planned 6-hour outage and it was no problem because I was home and I just ran an inverter from the car to power the essentials. Power outages are extremely rare here but you can guarantee the one in 5 years it does happen will when I'm away!

I like the DIY part but I may just drop the cash on an inverter/charger in one from a well-respected brand with a decent warranty and reliability. Something like this:

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-500-va

Will cost me around £300 + Battery.

With the method that you use, what kind of energy wastage is being created from having the inverter on all the time vs the above solution from Victron or is it going to be the same?

ApexConsumer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a test system and am a little confused about where to ground the inverter.

Do I ground it to the house ground somehow or do I need to have it hooked up to a separate grounding rod?

System:
Kreiger 2000w modified sine wave inverter (has a grounding bolt built in)

100ah 12v agm battery- ub121000

Transfer switch xantrex

Battery tender 3a version (plugged into the house power so will only charge the battery when there is power)

I plan to only power my jaebo return pump dcp-6500 for now. I know the modified sine wave inverter is not ideal for the pump.

Any help is appreciated.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back