DIY UV

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us in the Dino sticky thread were complaining about how expensive UV sterilizers are---especially since the housings look so simple. Has anyone built a DIY UV? Would love to see plans and hear experiences. Obviously, I think you'd have to buy the ballast / powerbrick, wiring, etc. from one of the UV manufacturers, but what about DIY for the rest? Maybe not the quartz sleeve I guess. Thanks!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm all in for saving money on DIY projects and I agree that some UV lights are outrageously priced, I found this 55W for under a $100.
It works well and it took care of my algae bloom over night.

Screenshot_20210609-085425_Amazon Shopping.jpg

bg2311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered parts to attempt to build one for our 200g system here. The crazy high cost for consumer/prosumer units was the motivation behind building one vs. buying one. The last main component we need to source is the quartz tube coil (looking on Alibaba for that). I'll probably start a build thread to track progress on it. Got the 55 watt UV bulb and ballast for it for ~$40 from 1000bulbs.com.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered parts to attempt to build one for our 200g system here. The crazy high cost for consumer/prosumer units was the motivation behind building one vs. buying one. The last main component we need to source is the quartz tube coil (looking on Alibaba for that). I'll probably start a build thread to track progress on it. Got the 55 watt UV bulb and ballast for it for ~$40 from 1000bulbs.com.
This would make a great thread!!!
Good luck with your build!

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thanks! I'll follow you. Please do post about your build!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back