DIYreefer's 125

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Since I've started a thread for my grow out system I figured I may as well start one for my 125 as well. The tank is an OLD Oceanic 125 (6'er). I bought it used many years ago, if I had to guess I would say it's likely around 20+ years old. It's been up and running for about 9 months now. I built the stand and canopy to match the cabinetry in my new house (wife is happy :)) and I built the sump as well. Speaking of, the sump is made out of plywood and pond armor. It's literally about as basic as it gets with just one baffle to keep the water in the skimmer chamber at a consistent level. I built it due to not being able to fit anything larger than a 20g long inside the stand, and that wouldn't be quite large enough to house my skimmer. I've built quite a few tanks and sumps using pond armor over the years and swear by it. I trust it far more than anything made out of acrylic, or glass panels held together with silicone!

For filtration I'm using an old BM B9000 skimmer (in sump), and roughly (maybe more, Idk) 40 lbs of VERY old and established live rock rubble, along with 6 or 7 liters of Sachem bio matrix. I'm a big fan of biological filtration and really rely on that more so than anything else. The skimmer is set to skim very dry and it's main purpose is oxygenation. I'm also a big fan of UV and run a 55w Jeboa 24/7. Additionally, I run a small amount (1 cup) of activated carbon passively in a filter bag in the sump. This gets changed out when I do my every ten day or so 10g water change. My water is always ridiculously clear and is the first thing anyone comments on when they see the tank in person.

Lighting is pretty simple. I'm using 6 nicrew hyper reef LEDs. I've got 4x50w and 2x100w all controlled by the little Kessil controller. I've also got a pair of 80w T5's both of which are ATI blue+ bulbs. The LEDs run for approximately 12 hours total (they ramp up/down throughout the day) and the T5's run for 5 hours.

Flow is also pretty basic. I've got a Jebao dcp-5000 set on it's lowest setting running as my return pump. I keep it as low as possible in order to maximize contact time with the skimmer and LR rubble. The main source of flow is a pair of Jebao cross flow pumps, one at each end of the tank. These have to be kept at a very low setting as well or they start kicking up sand everywhere.

I don't run a controller, and haven't since back when the aqua controllers were all the rage. I've found that I'm personally a better reefer when I keep a more hands on approach. That stated, I'm not huge into frequent testing either. If I do, I become obsessive with chasing specific numbers and once again, in my experience that tends to lead to negative results. I don't use an ATO on either of my systems currently. Not due to having any major issue with them, just haven't found one I completely trust just yet. When I go out of town I have someone come by the house and top off the tanks and feed the fish. Temp control isn't required on this system as the 55w UV keeps it right at 78 degrees all day and all night. Just got lucky with that one!

Since my corals are all relatively small (some are VERY small), and I recently moved over quite a few to my grow out tank, dosing isn't required at the moment. Once it is necessary, you guessed it, DIY 2 part. Lol. I'm all about DIY!

Picture time.

IMG_1289.JPG IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1301.JPG IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1305.JPG

No namer red acro. Due to it's location in the tank I couldn't get a good pic of it, but the inside of the polyps at the tips are neon green. The picture does it no justice, this is quite prevalent in person.
IMG_1252.JPG IMG_1253.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Pinky the bear.
IMG_1255.JPG

TSA something.. I forgot the name.
IMG_1256.JPG

This was sold to me as being a Pearlberry. I'm quite sure it is not, but it's nice just the same.
IMG_1257.JPG

I forgot the name of this one. Very similar to Paletta Pink Tip, but seems to have more orange in it.
IMG_1259.JPG

Legit Fiji yellow leather. I pulled this straight from a Walt Smith box and have had it since it was about the size of a pencil eraser.
IMG_1260.JPG

Pink Caddy.
IMG_1261.JPG

Hawkins Echinata. Under rated classic, IMO.
IMG_1262.JPG

One of the nicest acros in the hobby, IMO. Oregon Tort.
IMG_1264.JPG

Matt V Rainbow Envy. Slooooow grower for me.
IMG_1265.JPG

RRU Orange Passion. This, and a couple of others had a rough transit from the seller and were all but DOA. This one died down to literally 2 or 3 polyps but has since been making a comeback. :)
IMG_1266.JPG

Cali Tort.
IMG_1268.JPG

Lady in Pink. Kinda been disappointed with this one. I guess I just expected more vibrant colors given based upon what I've seen online. It's a bit nicer under blues, however.
IMG_1269.JPG

Another TSA something.. I don't remember. I thought this one was completely dead but decided to leave it in the tank anyway. Will be cool to see what it turns out to be.
IMG_1277.JPG

My little WD frag that I (embarrassingly) fragged. I should apologize to this little guy for showing him as the hacked up nub that he currently is!
IMG_1281.JPG

This one was sold to me as a "Freakazoid", which I haven't been able to find any info on. It's been an extremely slow grower, hasn't really done much of anything at all in the time that I've had it, but it definitely looks like it has some potential.
IMG_1284.JPG

That's all for now, thanks for looking!

bud_rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking acros! I saw your post somewhere else stating you used the nicrew leds. Did all of the growth shown happen under the t5/nicrew setup? Do the t5 lights help a lot with shading?

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Good looking acros! I saw your post somewhere else stating you used the nicrew leds. Did all of the growth shown happen under the t5/nicrew setup? Do the t5 lights help a lot with shading?

Thanks! Yeah I've ran the nicrew lights over this tank since day one. That stated, I've also ran the T5s since day one as well. I run 6 led fixtures over this tank so shading is only an issue in the middle, due to the huge glass brace that it has (no Leds over this section of the tank), which is why I don't have any coral in the center of the tank. I do intend to put some lower light corals in that area at some point, though.

The T5s are just personal preference, and probably not required. I've never really liked the look of any leds when running a full day light spectrum. For lack of a better explanation, I guess the T5s just give a little extra added punch that I prefer aesthetically.

bud_rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yeah I've ran the nicrew lights over this tank since day one. That stated, I've also ran the T5s since day one as well. I run 6 led fixtures over this tank so shading is only an issue in the middle, due to the huge glass brace that it has (no Leds over this section of the tank), which is why I don't have any coral in the center of the tank. I do intend to put some lower light corals in that area at some point, though.

The T5s are just personal preference, and probably not required. I've never really liked the look of any leds when running a full day light spectrum. For lack of a better explanation, I guess the T5s just give a little extra added punch that I prefer aesthetically.
Thanks for the reply I’m ordering them now. I was going to go with radions because it’s going to be on a sps/lps grow out setup (looking for quality) but by the time I get things setup it would’ve cost me a small fortune.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks for the reply I’m ordering them now. I was going to go with radions because it’s going to be on a sps/lps grow out setup (looking for quality) but by the time I get things setup it would’ve cost me a small fortune.

No problem, I'm happy to help whenever I can. Check out "fish of hex aquatics" on youtube. He recently started a frag tank with a couple of nicrews and goes over them pretty well in his videos. I strongly suggest getting the nicrew controller along with your lights.

I'm definitely not knocking radions, but I can 100% assure you that you can grow nice corals just fine with nicrews,and at a fraction of the price of radions. I think the only real advantage that radions have is their ability to be controlled through their app. However, from what I've read the app definitely has a lot of issues that people have not been happy with. Granted, you can also fine tune your settings to a greater degree with radions, but that's not something that I particularly care about. If you don't require what I consider excessive/unnecessary features, I think you will be very happy with nicrews. What size tank are you planning to use them on?

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Nothing wrong with that!! it's got a nice vibrant color and structure to it!

It really does. That blue is just so vibrant, nothing else really like it that I've ever seen.

I added a few more frags last week that will pretty much finish off my list of sps for this tank. I got the following (from the classifieds here on r2r):
1. Tsa bill murray
2. Uc rainbow hyacinths
3. Rmf tigers blood
4. Rmf phoenix
5. Uc enigma machine
6. Wwc jello shot
7. Wwc Heartbreaker
8. Loa rainbow stag
9. Cb omg

I still want either a jf solar flare or asd rainbow milli, and an angry birds tenuis.

bud_rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I'm happy to help whenever I can. Check out "fish of hex aquatics" on youtube. He recently started a frag tank with a couple of nicrews and goes over them pretty well in his videos. I strongly suggest getting the nicrew controller along with your lights.

I'm definitely not knocking radions, but I can 100% assure you that you can grow nice corals just fine with nicrews,and at a fraction of the price of radions. I think the only real advantage that radions have is their ability to be controlled through their app. However, from what I've read the app definitely has a lot of issues that people have not been happy with. Granted, you can also fine tune your settings to a greater degree with radions, but that's not something that I particularly care about. If you don't require what I consider excessive/unnecessary features, I think you will be very happy with nicrews. What size tank are you planning to use them on?
Fish of hex is where I originally got the idea to go with them, then I found your reply in a post after doing a search. Controller is on the order. I also already have an xr30 that I love but the price is just waaay out there.

I plan on running 2 grow out tanks to start with which I will start a build thread on. 1 75 gallon and a 50 gallon lowboy. I'm trying to decide weather to make one sps dominant and the other lps or mix them.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Fish of hex is where I originally got the idea to go with them, then I found your reply in a post after doing a search. Controller is on the order. I also already have an xr30 that I love but the price is just waaay out there.

I plan on running 2 grow out tanks to start with which I will start a build thread on. 1 75 gallon and a 50 gallon lowboy. I'm trying to decide weather to make one sps dominant and the other lps or mix them.

Nice! I've got a frag/growout tank in a spare bedroom (also have nicrews over it as well 10×50w along with 4×54w T5s) and hope to add a few of those 50g lowboys if/when I fill up my current tank. I e basically got one corner that my wife is willing to let me ha e in that room, lol. I'm thinking 3 lowboys on a stacked rack system. 1 for coral qt and the other 2 linked together to a common sump, most likely.

OP
OP
DIYreefer

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
WD under all blues. Would be really cool if this thing would quit being such a fatty and actually branch out a little more.

_MG_4464.JPG

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back