Best fish for a 20g frag tank.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am currently prepping a 20g tank for being a frag/growout tank. I plan on having frag racks in the center of the tank and light rockwork on either side of the tank. Which fish would be best for a frag system? I am thinking a lawnmower blenny and a 4/6line wrasse. The tank has a secure lid so jumping isnt an issue.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan! The six line will eat the bugs your coral dipping misses, theoretically, and the blenny will munch on the algae. My one algae blenny handled a 29 gal by itself with little problem. Just remember to add some nori should the green pickin's be slim due to the lower nutrients in a frag tank. :) Isn't it exciting starting new projects! :cool:

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan! The six line will eat the bugs your coral dipping misses, theoretically, and the blenny will munch on the algae. My one algae blenny handled a 29 gal by itself with little problem. Just remember to add some nori should the green pickin's be slim due to the lower nutrients in a frag tank. :) Isn't it exciting starting new projects! :cool:
I love it! However being a barebottom frag tank will the be any issues with either fish needing sand?

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it! However being a barebottom frag tank will the be any issues with either fish needing sand?

You can add a bowl of sand to a corner of the tank for the wrasse. It will find it and use it. Just be prepared for the wrasse to kick up sand in that area and keep sensitive corals away from its sand storm antics. I often use a deep cup of sand when I prophylactically treat new fish. I'm always siphoning up the sand they kick out of the cup and putting it back in, LOL. You, being smarter than me, could use a high top bowl and have less maintenance. :)

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a bowl of sand to a corner of the tank for the wrasse. It will find it and use it. Just be prepared for the wrasse to kick up sand in that area and keep sensitive corals away from its sand storm antics. I often use a deep cup of sand when I prophylactically treat new fish. I'm always siphoning up the sand they kick out of the cup and putting it back in, LOL. You, being smarter than me, could use a high top bowl and have less maintenance. :)
Is it required? I'd like to keep sand 100% out of the equation. So if theres something that can be used in place if a wrasse I would rather have a happy fish than a sad wrasse

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines are mucous cocoon sleepers, will be fine without sand :)

I personally dont trust lawn mower blennys as they age, they eat less and less algae as they get grumpy, and always a chance they will nip a coral instead of hair algae. Id stick with snails but thats me lol.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it required? I'd like to keep sand 100% out of the equation. So if theres something that can be used in place if a wrasse I would rather have a happy fish than a sad wrasse
Can a sand wrasse survive in a tank without sand? Probably. Will it be happy? Doubtful. Can you substitute sand for another material? Boy, that's a good question! I suppose if the replacement material was saltwater safe, smooth like fine sand so it didn't scratch the eyes or body, and the wrasse could easily bury itself in it, then it would work...but... what acts like sand, looks like sand (to a wrasse) and isn't sand? Maybe one of our experts on wrasses can help? @evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a pink streak wrasse instead. Smaller and much more peaceful than a sixline, and also doesn't require sand. And it will be just as good of a working fish.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies acclimated to saltwater can work in a frag tank provided the flow isn't crazy high. Good algae eaters and won't bother anything else.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 lines are mucous cocoon sleepers, will be fine without sand :)

I personally dont trust lawn mower blennys as they age, they eat less and less algae as they get grumpy, and always a chance they will nip a coral instead of hair algae. Id stick with snails but thats me lol.

Thank you for jumping in and letting the OP know the sixline does not require sand! That's one wrasse I've avoided because it does not play nice with other wrasses.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whhat fish did you choose? i am setting up a 20 gallon myself but using rubble and small vert small rocks bio balls both bigger and small ect. I thought I needed that for beneficial bacteria. the tank is for zoas and srooms but only 1bout 11/4 will be for shrooms. I defiently need rock and rubble on that 1/4. Any advice? how long before you can turn lights on and add coral? have a lot of highend zoas and I am having 2 big orders coming in so I need room in my tank but dont want to risk moving then to quicky and getting an algea outbreak!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back