Keeping multiple pairs/75g stocking

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m restarting a 75 g after a catastrophic loss last fall when a GFI tripped while I was out of town.

I am thinking of trying a pair of cherub angels. I had one for about 7 years in a 30g, and liked how it wove through the rockwork and just added nice movement and personality to the tank. Prior to the GFI incident, I had a coral beauty for about 5 years, also a nice fish, but not as much personality. Neither was ever enough of an issue with corals to bother me.

My only current fish, who will get moved to this tank, is a spotcinctus clown. She lost her mate a couple of years ago, unknown cause, possibly jumped. I would like to get her a new mate, but am concerned about aggression. The 2 spotcinctus were the only fish in the 30g tank.

Other potential fish in the 75g: lawnmower blenny, Royal gramma and maybe flame hawk. That would be it - 7 fish should be a reasonable bioload, but a lot of color, motion and personality.

Would the 2 pairs be a problem? Thoughts on the overall stocking?

Btw - mixed, easy corals, but aside from my faithful frogspawn, keeping to mainly softies so I can limit calcium dosing to kalk.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three clowns in my 75.

I would assume as long as you put smaller ones on with her it should be ok. She will assert her dominance no matter what.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with solid advice

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more than 2 clowns in a tank is a roll of the dice, especially in smaller tanks.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m restarting a 75 g after a catastrophic loss last fall when a GFI tripped while I was out of town.

I am thinking of trying a pair of cherub angels. I had one for about 7 years in a 30g, and liked how it wove through the rockwork and just added nice movement and personality to the tank. Prior to the GFI incident, I had a coral beauty for about 5 years, also a nice fish, but not as much personality. Neither was ever enough of an issue with corals to bother me.

My only current fish, who will get moved to this tank, is a spotcinctus clown. She lost her mate a couple of years ago, unknown cause, possibly jumped. I would like to get her a new mate, but am concerned about aggression. The 2 spotcinctus were the only fish in the 30g tank.

Other potential fish in the 75g: lawnmower blenny, Royal gramma and maybe flame hawk. That would be it - 7 fish should be a reasonable bioload, but a lot of color, motion and personality.

Btw - mixed, easy corals, but aside from my faithful frogspawn, keeping to mainly softies so I can limit calcium dosing to kalk.
If you get a clown half her size it will be easier for her to show shes in charge without too much pushback. All the small clowns ive added to an existing female have paired easy, no issues. Chasing, tail nipping will always happen until the little one agrees to be male as I call it lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 4 tanks with mated pairs in each. Regular clowns, darwin and black ice clown, maroon clown pair and mocha storm clown pair

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Found this article by accident

OP
OP
S

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. My ocellaris had been the lone clown in tanks for about 20 years before I got her a mate )much smaller). She ignored the little tyke following her around for a while, but hey eventually bonded and she was lying eggs every 9 days up to the tank crash.

I think my spotcinctus will accept a mate, my concern is them being territorial and aggressive to other tank mates, and how a pair of cherub angels might fair with them ( and each other.

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. My ocellaris had been the lone clown in tanks for about 20 years before I got her a mate )much smaller). She ignored the little tyke following her around for a while, but hey eventually bonded and she was lying eggs every 9 days up to the tank crash.

I think my spotcinctus will accept a mate, my concern is them being territorial and aggressive to other tank mates, and how a pair of cherub angels might fair with them ( and each other.
My pair are very aggressive to other tank mates especially new ones. They have killed two gobies and a wrasse unfortunately but they are still my favorite.

OP
OP
S

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I am afraid of. And clowns are so hard to catch if I need to remove them. Maybe if I don’t get a second spotcinctus/ bicinctus the lone one will be less territorial

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back