Stocking ideas for a simple mangrove tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Isak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Isak

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 18, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would ask here for some stocking ideas for this tank. It's a 112l tank but not fillled all the way, so around the dimensions of a 20g shallow.

I don't want clowns (already have two pairs and more planned in another tank) and I would prefer something that is not shy and an active swimmer. I am fine with even just keeping a single fish + CUC in it. My current idea is a single orchid dottyback. I also like blennies and am thinking to try a blenny + dottyback combo.

It doesn't have much hiding space, and I don't want to add more rocks. The mangrove roots will provide more cover with time, as will the seagrass (not visible on the pictures) and macro algea, but not crazy much. I have a dottyback in another tank and know it loves its caves so that's why I am asking if someone has a better idea.


4CF8274F-536B-4837-A78B-4494ECBAE0A1_1_102_o.jpeg

972C3097-1D71-4136-9990-666B4011DAED_1_102_o.jpeg
 
Thought I would ask here for some stocking ideas for this tank. It's a 112l tank but not fillled all the way, so around the dimensions of a 20g shallow.

I don't want clowns (already have two pairs and more planned in another tank) and I would prefer something that is not shy and an active swimmer. I am fine with even just keeping a single fish + CUC in it. My current idea is a single orchid dottyback. I also like blennies and am thinking to try a blenny + dottyback combo.

It doesn't have much hiding space, and I don't want to add more rocks. The mangrove roots will provide more cover with time, as will the seagrass (not visible on the pictures) and macro algea, but not crazy much. I have a dottyback in another tank and know it loves its caves so that's why I am asking if someone has a better idea.


4CF8274F-536B-4837-A78B-4494ECBAE0A1_1_102_o.jpeg

972C3097-1D71-4136-9990-666B4011DAED_1_102_o.jpeg
Are you okay with any saltwater fish suggestions or are you looking for suggestions for species that naturally occur in mangroves?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new