Do any ATO's work?

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently set up a 20 gallon Cube from waterbox. For the ATO on this tank, I ordered the AP Aqua Duetto. It was super easy to set up, but it stopped working after the first refill. I contacted customer support and received no answer. I spent most of the day trying to get it to work or reset, but nothing happens. the sensor seems to register with the controller and the lights start to cycle like it is pumping, but the pump never kicks on. Then after a few minute I get an alarm. I have unplugged the unit, cleaned the sensor, and tried again, but it instantly fails.

So needless to say, i have no confidence in this unit. i am returning it and replacing it with something else. I figured I would just buy the Tunze 3152 since it is supposed to be reliable. However, i have been reading reviews, and it looks like there are several people having issues causing it to have to be unplugged and reset every day.

So, now, i am lost on what unit to buy. I want something reliable and compact. I don't want to have to be messing with it every day to get it to function. With a tank so small, i want as little fluctuation in the water as I can get. Can someone please put my mind at ease and help me decide what unit is most reliable?

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Tunze 3152 on my water box 10 gallon and the tunze 3155 on my main display and I have never had any issues. I have had the 3152 set up for 6 months and the 3155 set up for at least two years.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently set up a 20 gallon Cube from waterbox. For the ATO on this tank, I ordered the AP Aqua Duetto. It was super easy to set up, but it stopped working after the first refill. I contacted customer support and received no answer. I spent most of the day trying to get it to work or reset, but nothing happens. the sensor seems to register with the controller and the lights start to cycle like it is pumping, but the pump never kicks on. Then after a few minute I get an alarm. I have unplugged the unit, cleaned the sensor, and tried again, but it instantly fails.

So needless to say, i have no confidence in this unit. i am returning it and replacing it with something else. I figured I would just buy the Tunze 3152 since it is supposed to be reliable. However, i have been reading reviews, and it looks like there are several people having issues causing it to have to be unplugged and reset every day.

So, now, i am lost on what unit to buy. I want something reliable and compact. I don't want to have to be messing with it every day to get it to function. With a tank so small, i want as little fluctuation in the water as I can get. Can someone please put my mind at ease and help me decide what unit is most reliable?

I have the Tunze 3155. It has been nothing but reliable and pretty much the standard by which all ATOs are judged. Yes, there are some reviews with negative comments, but overall, the reviews are great. it just works and has for many years.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think something to always consider is usually for every negative review there could be hundreds of unpublished positive ones. I have the tunze, have been running it for a year+ now and haven't had to reset it at all, not once. I suggest you give it a try.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just never run a tank with this little water volume. I really don't wan to have to reset something over and over to keep it working.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the float valve setup on the 3152? here isn't a lot of room in the back chambers of that waterbox

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the simple auto top off from autotopoff.com for years without a problem, and it works with just a simple pump you attach to it (i use an MJ1200.

It is not as sexy and fancy as many others, and is a simple float switch (or two, I recommend the 2 switch one for safety) but it has not died on my in several years of use, with periodic cleaning.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just never run a tank with this little water volume. I really don't wan to have to reset something over and over to keep it working.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the float valve setup on the 3152? here isn't a lot of room in the back chambers of that waterbox
I'm not home so I don't have the dimensions but it will fit. I have mine set up in the waterbox 10 cube which has smaller rear chambers than the 20. I have it set up in the rear return chamber above my return pump (which I upgraded to the IM MightyJet) and it fits with PLENTY of room. You could even use the 3155 if you want the added safety of a backup sensor.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Toms aqualifter, the Bulk Reef Supply float switch kit, and some air pump tubing. All in about $75 and it has been running perfectly since I set it up in March or April. Not a single issue.

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add me into the aqua auto smart ato. Have 2 of them running and never had issues with them

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I perfer AutoTopOff ATOs. Bulky and ugly as blobfish but never a problem with the unit.

Use a pump with a proven track record like MagDrive or Eheim and you're good for 10+ years.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the pressure switches. There isn't much that can go wrong. Avast makes a nice one, although I recently started using the one from Spectrapure and that is great. Includes a back-up high-water kill switch, and a high quality pump. Not particularly cheap but worth it imo.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses.

I have used the autotopoff.com set ups in the past, but because of space restrictions I was avoiding the hang on tank brackets.

It still seems like there is a lot of differing opinion on this topic. I realize the Tunze i the standard bearer in this market, which means I will probably just bite the bullet on the 3152. I am not completely convinced now that I have read so many negative reviews, but I know I have been reading about them being the best for years. I just hope I end up with one of the good ones.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back